Crumpled Hibiscus Leaves - Possibly Fungal?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by A.J., Apr 25, 2007.

1. A.J.

A.J. Member

Some of the leaves on my hibiscus have become crumpled looking. It had a small red spider mite problem so I have been misting it and I cleaned the leaves once with a cloth and plain water and it seems to have done the job. Also, it is showing absolutely no signs of wanting to flower which I find a bit odd seeing as it is late April. It is in a bright living room, though not excesssively bright and I water every 4 days or so, depending on whether the soil is dry to touch on top or not.
    I suspect that it may be a fungal attack but I'm not sure. Any insights welcome.

Attached Files:

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

it looks like it may still be having a mite problem,using just water will not get rid of them, you need to use some safer's soap, horticulturaloil, or diluted rubbing alcohol. also it seems to be light green due to the lack of direct sunlight, if you can give it more sun it would help. It doesn't appear to be a fungal problem just lack of light and maybe some rotten rots from excess watering.

3. A.J.

A.J. Member

Thanks James D, I looked on the undersides of the leaves and could find no mites, though previously they were visible to me like tiny red dots. I have moved the plant to a sunnier spot as you have suggested. Take a look at the pic, the leaves have small white dots on them too, possibly lack of sunlight again? (may be hard to see in the attachment, apologies)
    Also, another thing I have seen is a thick sticky sugary substance gathering at the base of the leaf.

Attached Files:

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

The small white dot is where some insect has sucked the juices out of the leaves and the sticky substance is its "dropings", check the actuall stems of the plant for things that look like brown bumps you may have scale, that would cause the yellowing of the leaves and the honeydew " sticky substance".

5. GildedLily

GildedLily Member

I don't think this is a fungal issue, more like a stress-related one. How big is the pot you have that in and how often do you water? Mites are almost always a result of stress, and usually that from having periodic serious droughts. That hibiscus should be lusher by now, and the yellow-y leaves could be not enough light (doubtful) not enough food, (spray with some seaweed foliar fertilizer, it has lots of iron and other trace nutrients in it.) My advice is to put it in a pot 2-4 inches bigger with rich soil, water THOROUGHLY. (are you giving it a cup at a time instead of soaking the entire root ball when you water?)
    When you pot it up, spray (including trunk) with a horticultural oil, wait overnight, and then spray with an insecticidal soap. Do not overdo the soap, make it mild, you are washing off the plant mainly. You have some other insect problem than mites if you have the stickies. Quite posssibly scale. The oil is likely to get that.

Hibiscus like high humidity, good air circulation and they get stressed out when too dry (thus the bugs and lack of flower development...and dropping leaves, I bet.) Winter is often their worst enemy- being kept inside, often near heating vents, being bombarded with hot, dry air. Hibiscus don't like it, they sulk. Being rootbound makes them dry out even faster, increasing the time they are suffering drought. Try to keep them lightly watered in winter like everything else, but never truly dry. Right now in spring it needs heavier waterings to thrive.
    Also, when nights are staying above 60 F, put it outside somewhere it gets afternoon shade and a good dose of direct sun in the morning. It will thank you.

6. A.J.

A.J. Member

James D - you were correct indeed, on a more thorough investigation I discovered more mites, though only a couple. I have sprayed the undersides of the leaves with water and checked to make sure they had gone. I will get some horticultural oil too.
    On the sunlight issue - I have moved it to a sunnier position and the leaves have already taken on a far healthier and deeper green. Many thanks for the help. If anything else comes to mind, please post.

7. A.J.

A.J. Member

Gilded Lily - It was in a smaller pot but because it was looking a little upset, I moved it to a bigger one. On the watering side of things, I think I may have over watered to begin with, drenching it at least a couple of times a week. I have since cut down and it seems to have helped in that the leaves are looking better and have ceased to yellow and wither. Do you think I should continue to soak it regularly??

8. GildedLily

GildedLily Member

For most indoor tropicals, soaking it well I always reccommend, unless it's a succulent or something--but the time drying in between totally depends on the temperature and sun exposure. Where I have seen them flourish (Florida, Hawaii,) they get warm weather all the time, high humidity and frequent rainshowers (Also thunderstorms, a frequent foliar feeder.) They like the soil moist, but if your house is chilly, it promotes fungus and could rot the plant if kept really damp all the time. In spring-summer-fall, as long as it's warm it needs to be moist to get lush. If you can get your hands on Raingrow, it's a great foliar feeder, and the hibiscus love a light misting of the stuff. Or whatever you can find that has teatree oil in it as well as a light organic feed. Helps block the ol' fungus. Check with your local hydroponic dude for good foliar feeds. I've liked Miracid for hibiscus, too. I have no idea what brands are available to you. Good Luck!