Hoya

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by shellyk, Sep 12, 2005.

1. shellyk

shellyk Member

My hoya bloomed! Beautiful. I wonder if those flowers are seeded and if I can plant the seeds?

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

oh i dont think so .. i have never heard of it ..to get more plants out the one u usually have to propagate it but cuttings and root .. but what ever u do DO NOT take of that bloom stalk .. it will rebloom for it again .. or if u do take it off it could take a few yrs before it blooms again ..

Marn

3. LoganD

LoganD Member

The flowers are almost certainly not fertilized, as their natural pollinators don't live in North America. I would expect your flowers to fall off after a few days or so. As Marn said, please don't cut off that spur the flowers came from. Your hoya will rebloom from that same spur, and it will get larger each year.

Still, if a particularly determined bee or moth managed to sufficiently ravage your hoya's delicate little flowers and you do get seeds, please let us know!

Logan

4. tweetie

tweetie Active Member

I got a tip from a friend, take cuttings, with at least 2 leafs on , plant them in a large glass jar, so they have room to grow without touching the sides, with a lid or cover with plastic and elasticband . and place in window, it worked for me.

5. Marn

oh ya you can take cuttings from it and make new plants.. some are a lil touchy to get rooted.. and take a while also .. but it can be done ..

Marn

6. Ines

Ines Active Member

I live in the northeast and last summer got seed pods on two of my outdoor hoyas. Insects in this area, in fact all over the world, can and will pollinate hoyas. When it happens a seed pod will grow from one of the flower spurs and eventually it will split open and all the little seeds float away ( they are like dandelion fluff )

The trick is to be there when the pod splits, or you can encase the pod in a nylon stocking to catch the little seedlings. The seeds are only good for a few days, so they must be sown immediately.

7. tweetie

tweetie Active Member

I now know that my flowers are falling off because of the cold, early next summer may be the time for the flowers to show themselves, as I have left the flower stems on, and the plants look healthy.

Thanks for all comments.
    wouldnt think it a good idea to put plants outside in the UK.

8. Marn

ya just dont cut those spurs off or you wont get flowers from them for a long time ..
    it would be cool if you did get seeds from them . take pics if you can when it does happen .. :)

Marn

9. Ines

Ines Active Member

I forgot to mention that a hoya producing seedpods is kinda rare, but it does happen when plants are outdoors where insects can get to them.

10. tweetie

tweetie Active Member

i think i have attached a photo. well let me know if its there
    this was taken easlier in the year, i have 4 different plants this one i got off e bay
    flowered within a few months. do you have any pics.

Attached Files:

• hoya.jpg
      hoya.jpg
      File size:
      481.7 KB
      Views:
  11. leah00010

leah00010 Member

Hi, what kind is this hoya, how big was it when you got it? I've bought 4 off ebay, havn't received bc the weather.

12. Ines

Ines Active Member

Leah if you are talking about the hoya in the picture, I believe it is hoya carnosa, one of the common varieties and easiest to grow. Good light, water when dry. Will bloom but not till a few years and a good size.

13. leah00010

leah00010 Member

Thanks Ines, I have one and some cuttings. I have a fishtail hoya the leaves don't feel stiff, should they? I also have cuttings from my fishtail, seems to be the easiest to root ,so far for me. I have 3 others. Does anybody know the particulars on the fishtail, I have it in the bathroom in a large west facing window(staind clear glass with some that is etched), besides the daily showers we take I mist it at least ounce daily. thanks leah

14. Ines

Ines Active Member

I beleive the fishtail hoya, Polyneura, is not a full sun lover. When mine gets too much sun the leaves get yellowish and washed out. A little morning or late afternoon sun is ok, the leaves stay glossy and green. I also find this one doesn't like being too dry - don't over water, but water more than you would some of the carnosa types. As for flowers, my plant started to bloom once but then the buds blasted after I moved it outdoors. The moisture from the shower and the misting are good for it.