unique plant but smelly

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by barb s, May 9, 2007.

1. barb s

barb s Active Member

I have a whole bunch of Fritterillas ( spelling?) growing in my yard. They are very unique looking but don't have the nicest smell. Can anyone tell me some history of this plant

Barb S

2. Kitchen Gardener

Kitchen Gardener Member

Do you mean Fritillaria?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I find Wikipedia ([WIKI]Fritillaria[/WIKI] a good starting point to read more about plants - there are often resource links at the bottom of each articles. If you can identify what species / cultivar you have, that'll help in pinning down even better sources for reading.

4. Kitchen Gardener

Kitchen Gardener Member

I grow Chocolate Lilies,at least that was my mothers name for them,I think they are commonly called Checkered Lilies(Fritillaria Meleagris).Have not noticed that they are particularly smelly however they are a small delicate plant ,too far down for me to bend over for a whiff.Oh my aching back!

5. Maggie76

Maggie76 Member

I believe the type of Fritillaria you are referring to is the Crown Imperial variety. As they pop out of the ground and begin to flower they exude a rather pungent skunky smell. The smell fades once the flowers open. The smell is actually a great deterrant against deer and other pests.

6. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

And against squirrels too. And very much so against would be vandals.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A friend gave me a variegated one, I put the bulb in the garage when I got home - intending to plant it later. It disappeared and left behind a lingering skunky smell. I am sure a wharf rat (roof rat) got in there and ate it.

So much for deterring pests such as squirrels (arboreal rodents).

8. Kitchen Gardener

Kitchen Gardener Member

Well Ron ,when your hungry ,you've got to eat!
    I put bulbs in pots when I get them,then if they begin to grow I can just put them out in the garden.

9. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

I have crown Imperial and it is supposed to deter moles...I think I lost mine because of all the mole tunnels underneath of it.