How to start Grapefruit from a Seed

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by raineyla, Apr 8, 2007.

1. raineyla

raineyla Member

Hello!

I am new to gardening (and am not very good at it yet). Lets just say that I do not have any gardening common sense. I am trying to start a grapefruit from a seed and am not sure how long to wait until it starts to do something. Im not the most patient person :)

Background
    I got the grapefruit at the store and took the seeds and put them in a glass of water for about a week. Nothing. I then took out all the water and just left a tiny bit. Nothing. I got a bit impatient and threw 2 of the 4 seeds in a pot. I have no idea what to do next. Nothing has happened - were they duds???

Please help!
    Laura

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Just keep the soil in the pot slightly moist and wait. It could be any time depending how deep they are. If you get another fruit, plant the seeds 1/2" deep in a pot and keep moist. There is no trick to citrus germination, it's great fun.

3. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I start most of my citrus seeds on a moist paper towel folded to fit on a saucer and then covered with plastic wrap. I set the saucer with the seeds on top of my hotwater heater. Most citrus seeds will sprout in 2-3 weeks at 80-85 F. Once I see a root beginning to protrude from the seed I plant it in a pot with coarse potting soil.

Your seeds may be still viable, but they may have died in the glass of water if there was not enough oxygen.

Skeet

4. Paula G

Paula G Member

I had a seed that germinated all by itself, because of my poor housekeeping habits. I left a seed on the counter in a little pool of water, (I hadn't wiped down the counters properly) and left for a week. When I returned the little thing had sprouted, and now it is three feet tall.