What Is Its Name Please

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by ARETEAH, May 3, 2007.

1. ARETEAH

ARETEAH Member

Please, I have a cactus which is coming into flower (see photo) it is about eight years old and it has never flowered before, is it going to die after it has flowered!!!. What is it called, I lost the lable many moons ago.
    THANKS, ARETEAH
    PS. A first time Post I hope the photo is ok!!!.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Aeonium?

It doesn't look to be a monocarpic plant (one that dies after flowering), those usually have the flower stems at the apex of the shoot, whereas yours has several flowering stems of different ages as lateral (side) shoots, and the growing point of the main stem is continuing growth.

3. Jamey

Jamey Member

I think that you have a Echeveria which there are a 150 species and some hybrids so its hard to nail exactly which one you have. I have quite a few in my collection and this looks to be similar to some of mine.

4. Wask

Wask Active Member

Echeveria Perle von Nuremburg

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  5. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

It looks like Echeveria x imbricata, one of the most common and 'old-fashioned' echeverias. The rosette will not die after flowering; moreover, it produces offsets from the stem base (visible in your pic!), and even detached leaves will form plantlets from the base if laid on soil.

Actually I think Wask may be right about it being 'Perle von Nurnberg' (note correct spelling, though should have umlaut on the u; Nuremburg is English name of the city, not compatible with "Perle von"). But I suspect that this has similar parentage to E. x imbricata.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. Wask

Wask Active Member

Definitely perle von nurnberg...TonyR, your right about spelling error...oops!