pansies attacked

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by ElleB, May 2, 2007.

1. ElleB

ElleB Member

Something has completely attacked my pansies - both the flowers and vegetation - and I see no sign of the culprit. These flowers have been there for 3 years and its the first time this has happened. The holes and eaten away parts are quite large. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Leaf eating beetles? I have run into this with other plants where there is no visible sign of the culprit and putting down slug bait catches nothing.

If the holes are rounded rather than jagged, it could be a leaf cutter ant or bee . . .

3. ivegotpowers

ivegotpowers Member

I know the rabbits love my pansies. I no longer refer to them as pansies. They have now been dubbed as rabbit food. Anyway, just trim them down. They'll be back in no time (the pansies, that is).

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Slugs or snails?

Look out at night to see if they are eating them.

5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I vote cutworms. If you're in the Vancouver area, it could be slugs or snails (it has been wet), but slugs leave pretty obvious trails and snails will hide under leaves, so both are reasonably obvious when they're around. Weevils are emerging now, as well, and they can make mincemeat out of soft plant tissues. I've used primroses as bait to draw black vine weevils away from rhododendrons. I don't have any direct experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if weevils ate pansies with relish (figuratively speaking).

Cutworms are amazingly sneaky, hiding in the soil at some depth, especially in uncompacted, humusy soil. I've seen damage on plants recently and dug around in the soil to expose them. If you're squeamish and don't want to dispatch the cutworms yourself. just throw them onto a concrete surface away from the soil. Once you leave the area, birds will gobble up the little beggars.