Orange ?aphids?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by sungodess134, May 1, 2007.

1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

I think they are orange ?aphids? attacking my milkweed. They look like tiny little spiders. Can anyone help me get rid of them. I'd post a picture but my regular computer is in the 'shop'. thanks, me.

2. PhillyPalms

PhillyPalms Active Member

Without a picture, I'll guess either southern red mite or two-spotted spider mite. Both are found in your area. If you can get some Talstar, that would help. Also, try hosing the plants down frequently with some force. That helps too.

3. sungodess134

Thanks for the advice, but I googled both of those and neither was right. They have a bright orange, the same as my milkweed, body and 6-8 tiny black legs and thats about it. I just googled orange aphids, which I guess I should have done in the first place, and that is exactly what they are. How do I get rid of them?

4. PhillyPalms

Hmmm, If they are orange aphids, I still recommend Talstar or maybe Orthene. Probably Oleander aphids. I doubt Ladybug beetles will feed on that type of aphid. Even the birds avoid them.

When you said they're orange and they look like a tiny spider, the first thing I thought of was mites, which can be orange or red.

5. sungodess134

thanks phillypalms, Talstar and Orthene? chemicals? natural? we have a well and I really don't approve of using chemicals out in the lawn, but if they are harmless to everything but aphids, I will be giving them a try. thanks again. me.

6. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Rotenone is a naturally derived pesticide or if there is a company (we have Safers up here in Canada) that puts out an insecticidal soap they work well on soft bodied pests.

7. PhillyPalms

Those are heavy hitters. (Systemics).Absorbed into the plant tissue. Great for scale, mealybugs, and mites.
    The soap insecticides should help for your aphids.