Horsetail in lawn - will it be a problem?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by dbeguelin, Apr 23, 2007.

1. dbeguelin

dbeguelin Member

Re: Horsetail

I am getting ready to plant a new lawn on approx. 3/4 of an acre. I need to bring in top soil. I am concerned about Horsetail! I believe your application relates to planting beds, not lawn. Do you believe Horsetail can be relatively easy eradicated should it appear? How long have you been successful with the vinegar process? Any information, insight and help will be appreciated. Thank you. Dennis Beguelin

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Frequent mowing of lawn should get rid of it eventually - in lawn area.

3. dbeguelin

dbeguelin Member

Thank you. What about Vinegar? Any experience with it?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tried it one year on various weeds with poor results. Was diluting it with water, however. Area being treated rather large to flush afterward.

5. dbeguelin

dbeguelin Member

Thank You.

6. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Be careful with vinegar, it may contaminate the soil and prevent new turf from rooting into it if you use too much. Basic turf lawn weed sprays will contain 2,4-D which will wipe out horsetail and will not hurt you soil. As well it it systemic and will kill the root system instead of just burning off the foliage like vinegar. And you can use it on the lawn to kill any horsetails that come back up later through the turf.
    Jim.

7. dbeguelin

dbeguelin Member

Hello and Thank you Jimweed for your reply to my post. One of our friends is a Master Gardener and works for a Nursery and Garden Supply in Sequim, Washington where we live. She cautioned us about getting topsoil that may contain Horsetail weed as it is extremely difficult to get rid of it once it infests the soil. Your information is most encouraging. If there are any other issues we should be concerned over please pass them along to me. Thanks again.

8. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Most importantly keep the herbicide off any broadleaf plants you don't want to kill. And always use label rates for optimum control.

In actual reality I find horsetail one of the easiest weeds to control. In you garden beds there are preemergent herbicides that one treatment will control horsetail for the entire year. Most effective would be Casoron, but do not get that on your turf, or it will not grow for a year either.

I hope your soil comes weed free! Good luck on your new lawn. Jim.

9. dbeguelin

dbeguelin Member

Thank you again Jim for your kind assistance. I most certainly will email you when the lawn has come in. Best to you.

10. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Iwould agree that horsetail is not a problem in a regularly mowed lawn. We had vigorous hosetail growing in the backlane of our first house. I dug, weeded and the sowed grass seed. A cut several times a year was sufficient to control the horsetail. Pretty easy! Your lawn should not be a problem. The soil is more of a problem in shrub or flower beds.

11. dbeguelin

dbeguelin Member

Thank you much for your encouraging information. I am grateful for people like yourself that take the time to share valuable insight to other folks problems. Have a wonderful 2007!

12. viking46

viking46 Member

I have not had any horsetail in my lawn but was succesful getting rid of it in my beds and along the sidewalk (in the rocks). I used 1/2 L household vinegar to a couple of teaspoons of disk detergent (to make it stick to the plant) and then filled up the 1 L. jug with water. Poured it on the little blighters and in a week - No horsetail! Some persisted in coming up later but I doused those too - result - No horsetail in my yard. Works like a charm. Don't know if it will work on soil before putting in a lawn - I do know it will kill grass as well as horsetail so I only use it as a spot killer.