I need to give a recently transplanted shorepine a boost

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by edgeworth, Apr 30, 2007.

1. edgeworth

edgeworth Active Member

I transplanted this shorepine in January from Langley to West Van.

The tree had suffered stress last summer due to drought and was delivered with some yellowing needles.

It has been in it's new location for nearly four months, and is showing rapid signs of stress (see photos).

Any suggestions for a foliar spray or boost of some sort? I don't want to loose this tree.

I was under the impression that the nursery root pruned regularily, but he may have lied.

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

January is certainly not the right time to move a tree. Add to that, pines are generally sensitive to root disturbances. Sorry to say that the damage might just be too great. Right now your pine should be extending this years growth, not turning brown every where. I don't think that a spray for feeding is what this plant needs. It needs a lot of luck and a bit of time.

3. edgeworth

edgeworth Active Member

Thought that might be the case. I realize the move was ill-timed. Is the greatest concern the effect the low temperatures has on new root growth?

I have heard of applications of liquid seaweed. Any point?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seems to have branching habit of Jack pine (P. banksiana). Looks like it's dying. Maybe got dried out or is actually too wet. New roots of trees and shrubs generally - that have had old roots cut back during transplanting - don't come until spring, when opening dormant buds at shoot tips send hormones down.

5. edgeworth

edgeworth Active Member

Dying? That is bad news.

There is a chance that it was too wet in it's new spot.

Is there nothing I can do?

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If too wet, pulling it up and putting in better drained soil might actually allow it to pull through. Or you could try digging away the soil around it where it is and replacing with sandier soil. The value of that would depend on why, exactly the soil there now is too damp. And it's all quite a bit of work put into something that may not help at this stage - it depends on how important it is to you.