Please help identify these plants

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Charis, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Charis

Charis Member

I bought these perenials at the flea market and would like to know what they are so I can plant them properly. I know that the ones with dark pink flowers are Azaleas but would like to know what variety they are and how big they will grow and if they are evergreen.

I have very little success with the plants I planted last year so this year I'm buying baby plants.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

The Azaleas look what I refer to as the old variety. Grow really large (4x4 ft) and best at the back of a planting. They can be clipped but are really lovely when let go. I find these are more hardy too than all the prissy pretty ones. I think yours are the Indica group. Just found a site that said up to 6 and 8 feet but this would be in good acid soil and plenty of water.

Could no 2 be rosemary. If so well drained warn sunny.

Liz

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  3. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

The white flowering one looks to me like Candytuft (Iberis sempervirens).

4. Charis

Charis Member

Thanks for the replies. They are quite helpful.

I'm glad I asked about the Azalea. I thought I bought the dwarf ones. I guess I would have to find a place to plant them.

I'm googling rosemary's and I'm not sure the plant I have is a rosemary. The man who sold me the plants said it is evergreen with blue flowers and it flowers in the summer.

The silvery ones (no 3), I can't find them anywhere. I looked through a lot of perrenials website.

5. Liz

Rosemary has bluey coloured flowers. Pinch some leaves and see if they have a strong smell. It may not be the bush variety but the more prostrate one either will look and smell the same except for growing habit.

Liz

6. Ellsee

Ellsee Member

I can't see the flowers on No.3 very clearly, but I think it could be Bog Andromeda (Andromeda polifolia).

I have a plant that looks similar, labelled Andromeda compacta. I have to keep mine in a pot in ericaceous compost (they need more acidic soil than I have in my garden) and should be grown in damp and shady conditions.

First impression of No.2 is some form of lavender perhaps, and I second Megami's identification of Iberis (candytuft) - I bought one last week.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  7. Liz

Yup I think you are right re lavender if it is you should also be able to smell it by crushing leaves. They like well drained warm conditions or at least not boggy feet.

Liz

8. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

The azalea is one of the Kurume group, evergreen and small-flowered.

9. Liz

Ron are these the ones that are totaly covered in small flowers and the leaves are hidden? What I mean is they are just masses of flowers. They are still tall. If it is them I have a couple . One is bright purple and the other is lipstick pink. They are old plants probably mid 1950's. Last spring I got some nice pink ones. Flower in spring. (sept here ).

Liz