conatiner maple suggestions...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by nbryce, Apr 18, 2007.

1. nbryce

nbryce Member

I have been reading the forum and am looking for information regarding choosing a suitable Japanese maple variety for the following conditions.
    Container grown, hot, sunny, patio location by a fountain, preferrably grows to approx. 6 feet, maybe a weeping variety? There is so much expertise here, I thought someone may have some suggestions before I stumble into our local nursery and get overwhelmed. Thanks so much in advance,
    Cheers,
    Natalie

2. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Beni hoshi not cascading however, Del's Japanese Maple Nursery in Eugene OR

3. nbryce

nbryce Member

Thanks very much, I will check it out!

4. Paddy

Paddy Member

Hi Natalie,

I have a disectum gatnet in container for almost 6 years.This acer needs to be in the sun to get the most beautiful color "garnet like hence the name).Just be sure to NOT let the soil dry out.
    Another containerplant(most are suiteble) is Filligre"The color of this cultivar is light green and the leaves are very lacelike it is one of the best and beautiful maples I know.
    The last acer that I have for 8 years in a container is Acer palmatum 'Red Filigree Lace'It grows ever so slowly but the beauty of this plant can not be discribed.I have this one at my front door and it is only 75 cm high...i am from belgium...it is more or less 2 feet and a bit .I very much would recommend this beautiful acer if u have it availeble in the states.

Patrick

5. ShariN

ShariN Member

After 3 years of searching and waiting I finally got a Filigree.
    They will need afternoon shade and protection from harsh sunlight. It can be hardy but the leaves are very fragile.
    As said you do have to make sure they do not dry out,,at the same time not allowing them to get over wet.
    So I could not recommend this one for a hot sunny place.

6. acyvas

acyvas Member

As far as potting in containers go I have found Japanese maples love bonsai soils such as Calidama and Akadama. However I thing Calidama is only available in California and it is about $13 a cubic foot. The reason I like it so much is that it retains moisture very well yet its texture is almost like peralite only more dense. It drains like sand so deep watering causes no problems whatsoever. I just drench the posts weekly and thats it.

7. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

Shaina is a beautiful, compact, red cultivar that does well in full sun and in containers. It will only grow to 6 feet tall in a large container as it is a relative 'dwarf' in the Japanese maple world. I think Vertree's book credits Red Filigree Lace as a cultivar that does well in the sun but I would suggest protecting all plants younger than 4 years old from wind and full sun. I have also read that Filigree requires afternoon shade and this is typical of any of the variegated Japanese Maples. I also won a Garnet that does really well but only gets around 5 hours of mid-day sun. Good luck- any of these suggested would work.

Justin