Identification: Prolific - perfect for the office - what is it?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by bbarb, Apr 27, 2007.

1. bbarb

bbarb Member

We inherited this office plant and have easily propagated from leaf and stem cuttings. It has opposite leaves, fuzzy texture top and bottom and no special coloring on the underside of leaves. Has not flowered yet so no info on that. Any idea?

Attached Files:

2. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Could be Streptocarpus saxorum or caulescens.

3. mosscampion

mosscampion Active Member

Could be Streptocarpella. Same family as Streptocarpus. You might have to wait for flowers.

4. bbarb

bbarb Member

Thank you very much, TonyR and mosscampion. Now I have an excellent chance of finding some published info.

5. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

I am not sure Streptocarpella is regarded as a distinct genus, or only as a subgenus of Streptocarpus. The species I suggested, S. saxorum and S. caulescens, fall within Streptocarpella.

6. mosscampion

mosscampion Active Member

I didn't realize that TonyR...thanks for the info! It's hard sometimes to keep up with changing taxonomy. :) To be clear, I have a plant that is labeled Streptocarpella and it looks identical to the plant pictured in this thread. At the greenhouse where I bought it, I called it a Streptocarpus at first, but the employee said, "you mean Streptocarpella?" Confusing....but thanks for the explanation.