Sun to partial sun

Discussion in 'Maples' started by acyvas, Mar 29, 2007.

1. acyvas

acyvas Member

I am looking for a cultivar of Japanese Maples that is the most heat and sun tolerant. I know none of them can take full sun, bowever I was wondering which cultivar can withstand dry heat and sun the most.

The only reccomendation that I've gotten is Sherwood Flame, but I was wondering if there were any others. I recently planted one to replace a Bloodgood that got baked, and so far it is doing much better.

Any thoughts?

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. acyvas

acyvas Member

Hm looks like there is even a nursey in my area that seems to carry it from this reference:

http://www.lgyp.com/results.asp?cc=GIYP&pID=23735&biz=2&sq=japanese%20maple%20'glowing%20embers'&nameType=Common&plantCommon=japanese%20maple%20'glowing%20embers'
    Going to Belmont this saturday in fact thanks. :)

Any other reccomended culivars?

I was also considering the following cultivard from http://www.eastforknursery.com/rare.htm :
    Beni kawa
    Beni maiko
    Beni otake
    Beni schichihenge "I really like butterfly but the heat here fried it"
    Beni shi en
    'Red Emperor'
    'Kasigi yama'
    'Mikawa yatsubusa'
    'Orange Dream'
    Purple Ghost'
    'Seiryu'
    Shindeshojo
    Winter Flame

I know I listed a lot of cultivars, but I want to narrow down which ones do best in Sunny, hot dry weather. According to ther website all of them will take full sun but I know for a fact that full sun in Washington is almost like full shade here in the Central Valley of California.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  4. Thraxen

Thraxen Member

I've got a question about sun/shade for some specific maples. I have these 4 types of Japanese Maples:

Fireglow
    Red Dragon
    Beni schichihenge
    Ukigumo

Currently, all four are in containers and are 3-4 years old. I acquired them last summer and they made it fine through the winter are are all now leafing. I would like to get them planted this spring, but I'm need advice on placement. The problem is that I read conflicting information about how much sun various Maples can take. I've seen some sites recommend against full sun for pretty much any Japanese maple, but that some can 'tolerate' full sun. But then I'll read a site like the one for East Fork Nursery linked above where it actually says that some of the species 'prefer' full sun, but partial shade is 'acceptable'. That's pretty confusing. Only the Ukigumo they recommend for afternoon shade.

So, does anyone have experience with these or similar cultivars? I live in NW Arkansas and our summers can get fairly hot. Out hottest days will top out around 100 F, though most days are going to be mid-80's to low 90's in the middle of the summer. I'd say that from what I've read that the Ukigumo is definitely going to need partial shade, but what about the others? How much sun can they actually take?

Thanks!

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I would certainly say that Orange Dream does not like full sun. Just my experience.

-E

6. whis4ey

Unfortunately, in terms of Japanese Maples at least, the expression 'full sun' is totally meaningless
    Full sun in Arizona can mean temperatures over 100 F and for extended periods of the day (I await confirmation of actual temperatures experienced from participants who live there)
    Full sun in Northern Ireland would probably amount to temperatures in the region of the low to mid 70's F for limited periods during the summer months. Only occasionally would temperatures reach the 80's for example
    There are many enthusiasts in this forum from all parts of the world
    Maybe we could all add our experiences of what 'full sun' means to us in our respective parts of the world
    Temperatures experienced?
    For how long a period in the day?
    How many months of the year?
    That information, if available, would be much more valuable in assessing whether or not any particular variety could be expected to survive in any particular area
    So ... come on guys ... what does 'FULL SUN' mean to you, and how are your plants coping with it?

7. acyvas

acyvas Member

Full Sun in the Central valley druing summer:
    100-110 degree highs
    5-12% humidity
    12-13 hours of daylight

Great for citrus, but enough to cook a bloodgood.

Our winter temps are as low as five degrees. Daily temperature fluctuatins during spring go from 55 degrees at night to 85 mid day.

8. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Whiskey is right, be careful about advice in books and forums since full sun means different things at different places. In additon full dry sun is not the same as full wet sun (i.e.: Californina vs. Georgia for example).
    The best for you is to look around your place and see which cultivars do well under your local full sun. Alternatively you can do trials yourself with the potted maples.

Otherwise I can tell you that many cultivars introduced by Girardelli have been selected by their good behaviour under the full sun of the Milano area. Fireglow is one of those.

Gomero

9. whis4ey

Acyvas ... what maples survive or prosper in your area then?
    Gomero ... what would your temperatures get to?

10. acyvas

acyvas Member

The only cultivars I have seen locally are:
    Red Dragon
    Butterfly
    Bloodgood
    Sherwood Flame
    Sango Kaku
    Crimson Queen

All of thesed need losts of shade here except Sherwood Flame which will take partial sun. Bloodgood actually does fairly well here provided it gets enough shade. I think I will just ask the people at Belmont since they seem to stock a large variety of cultivars including the Glowing Embers as well as being familiar with the climate of the Central Valley.

As far as the Eastfork Nursery goes. I know that full sun in that part of washington means: 90% overcast which these trees probably love. I did talk to them today and they said that they lived in the Valley for a while and the largest problem is getting the trees deep roots established to keep it cool as well as having good well drained soil sever feet deep below the roots. They even reccomended digging a 4 ft deep hole and planting the tree 1 ft above the surface with the soil mounded up basically giving almost 5 ft deep of well drained soil. Additiionally they reccomended a mix of perlite, peat moss, coconut husks, azalea soil mix and calidama.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  11. acyvas

acyvas Member

Ok talked to some more peole about this and they gave me a few more cultivars:
    Acer palmatum (generic)
    Fireglow
    Seiryu
    Shishigashira

They also said that pretty much any green cultivar with leaves that are not heavily disected do well in sun. That definately explains Shishigashira.

I wonder if that applies to Koto Hime.

Anybody know?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  12. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi I live in central Italy (summer very hot!!) for my experience : Fire Glow ,Osakazuki Butterfly,Ribesifolium,Palmatum subsp.Palmatum,and acer Capillipes,Griseum,Davidii,Rufinerve,Pensylvanicum. Is important the umidity of earth around the maple for good result(*-*)alex

13. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

My answer is: yes, it applies to Koto hime.

Gomero