Diseased Camellias not responding to 10% permithrine

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by carol mitchell, Apr 19, 2007.

1. carol mitchell

carol mitchell Member

I have some varying aged , different varieties of Camellia trees all with some kind of insect / bark boring disease. The bark has ( I think ) a full bark thickness wound pattern like a bee honeycomb . I can see no insects when I check . It is at the same level of each branch ; each pattern of wounds is 1-2" rings or more on one tree. I took Pictures to the local feed and seed and only one person there had an idea : bores ( some of the guesses were wood peckers but there is no way this pattern is too fine and doesnot penetrate into the woody part of the tree) . SO , I bought a systemic treatment for a variety of things okay for ornamental trees... a 10% permithrin to be diluted in line/ waterhose dispenser( calibrated ). I did this twice a week apart....how can I be sure this is helping . The worse case tree seems to be worse and is defoliating about 30 - 40 % now , I haven't sealed the bark yet for fear of protecting the pest ....help ! These beauties survived Katrina ... also some of the leaves on some of the affected trees are this week turning yellow ....WHAT DO YA SUGGEST . ( I have scanned through a search for camellias and am not sure what to do - ) I am not very experienced with trees ...

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I dont believe permethrin is systemic. It is a synthetic pyrethrin product. The problem on the plant may be borers, is there a chance of some visual evidence?

3. PhillyPalms

PhillyPalms Active Member

Permethrin is NOT systemic. Those hose end sprayers deliver such varied quantities of product, that one second it comes out at like 7%, then at almost nothing. I would use a pump sprayer and apply it as a pinstream into the wounds. It is applied at a .50 to 1% rate.
    Instead, try Orthene, which IS systemic, or Talstar. They are both available in the U.S. and please follow the labels instructions.
    Good luck.

4. carol mitchell

carol mitchell Member

yes , Pyretrin is the product....sorry for the error ( I was a bit sleep deprived ) and if you reread my 1st post it is a water hose spraying I referred to as in line and calibrator set up ( by ferti-lome ) so, I am not using an undiluted product at 10% ...that is how the product comes by ferti-lome . Ok , I will try to provide the pictures on this web site ,but I m not sure how to do it with this site. THANKYOU . well, I have been trying to attach ...I'll have to get help to do that.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. carol mitchell

carol mitchell Member

Re: Diseased Camellias not responding to 10% permithrine HERE ARE THE PICTURES

Sprayed wounds directly with pyrathrine. still need ideas, I have noticed about five new spots on tree. Also thank you for the help so far.

Attached Files:

7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sapsucker damage ? Whoops sorry , didn't read full thread, you say it isn't.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Find out what this is before applying any additional chemicals.

9. PhillyPalms

PhillyPalms Active Member

Looks like sapsucker damage. I would rule out bark beetles or wood boring beetles.

10. carol mitchell

carol mitchell Member

I am not sure of anything- I just thought that wood pecker wounds would be more random than in such a tight honeycomb -like pattern ....but that was an uneducated guess: you guys know FAR more than me ....so should I go to the local area arboretum for help ? Because I am at a standstill for any further " ruling out " .? Thanks bunches.....by the way this involves 3 of my Camellias : one of which is the oldest in the yard...I have 10 .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  11. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sapsucker damage pattern can look like your pics.. Maybe a phone call to an arboretum, retail nursery, posting on the HortBoard this site, or someone on here knows how to discourage sapsuckers. Possibly a google search of "sapsucker damage". Some info on this site we're on, use search box near top of this page.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007