Need to get rid of dozens of potted firs...

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by WadeT, Apr 21, 2007.

1. WadeT

WadeT Active Member 10 Years

Hi all, I have dozens of Fraser firs, Balsam firs, 5 Caanan firs, 3 Grand firs that need to go. I had planned on selling them for extra $ but my job situation has changed drasticly over the last year so the extra $ is no longer needed. The trees very in size and age. Most were bare root and range from 4 to 6 years in age. Four of the Frasers were originally potted and are the largest.

Also, I'd like to plant some in local parks - is such a thing possible? If so, how do I go about this?

If you interested let me know. I'm located 20 miles South of Seattle.

I hope this isn't in violation of the rules.

Thanks!

EDIT:
    Here's a few pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's what ~10 year old landscape Frasers look like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Shouldn't be a problem; talk to the park manager or rangers. But if they are planted in publicly accessible locations, they will likely get cut and stolen in mid December.

3. WadeT

Thanks Michael. I went up to Fort Lawton/Discovery Park and asked a park ranger about planting seedlings. He stated I need to contact the grounds crew to arrange the time and places to plant them. Got the contact info so this should be interesting.:)

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Only the locally native Grand firs would be adapted and appropriate. The eastern species do not hold up well under our conditions, would not conform where the dominating interest these days in planting natives only is in effect.

5. WadeT

Well, there are a great number of shady spots in the park as well as water percolating from the ground. The soil in these areas never dries out, even in August. I feel the Eastern firs would thive there. They couldn't perform any worse than the two scraggly Noble firs I stumbled across yesterday.

I do agree with you about nativist being the dominant movement. It's sad really.