help me identify please

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by misledhope, Apr 23, 2007.

1. misledhope

misledhope Member

hey ive had this cactus for almost 2 years now its about 3 feet tall. it had small tear shaped leaves between each pair of spines for a while they fell off and none have come back. it seems to be very very slow growing and id like to look into flowering it but i do not know what species it is

Attached Files:

2. Wask

Wask Active Member

Looks like Euphorbia trigona to me...also called African milk tree.

3. misledhope

misledhope Member

wonderful that it is from all i can tell. ive been searching madly for info on growing them if anyone has links to anything specifically on Euphorbia trigona thatd be great.

4. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Just do a google search on the name and you will have hours of reading and information.

Bill

5. paul wayne

paul wayne Member

Hi..Sorry for my Very Late Reply--I'm 'new' !! Yes,,this is an "EUPHORBIA". The 'Leaves' that appear, then 'fall off' are typical. Observation suggests these 'Leaves' appear seasonally, during times of high humidity, and act to increase surface area, as a 'Dew Catcher', allowing for the maximum Moisture to be captured/condensed from the Air, and 'drip down' to the plants Root System, or be held for absorbtion (Euphorbs are typically NOT soil-rooted plants--see reference material). If yours 'sprouts' these 'leaves' then sheds them,,,NO HARM !! It's behaving as it would 'in the wild'. Regards, Oskar