Recognize the evergreen tree and shrub?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Stansgig, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Stansgig

Stansgig Member

I am getting familiar with the plants at our new home in Northern California. I am struggling to identify these and would appreciate your help. The soil is well drained, rocky. The bed has drip irrigation and is mulched. Location has full sun. All plants here are drought tolerant, mediterranean (rosemary, phormiums, japonica, arbutus, etc.).

1. (First two pictures.) Tall slim tree, 9 feet tall (age unknown). Has tiny oval holly like dense and glossy leaf, only about 1/2 " long, used to be dark green, but this spring it appears to be yellowing. The tree shed a lot over the winter and appears dry. The bark is grayish brown and appears to be infected with blue green moss and orange colored spots where leafs dropped. I have not seen any blooms or berries on this tree since last fall till now, the spring.

If you recognize the pests on the bark, please share your thoughts with me.

2. (Last picture.) Evergreen shrub with tiny oval leafs, dark green and some burgundy color and just began blooming - a stem with several tiny red trumpet like blooms (each not bigger than 1"). The shrub's foliage and bark is similar to the tree, but its leaf is more delicate than those of the tree. It appears dry and neglected.

Other plants on the same irigation are fine. I am wandering if these plants need more water or fertilizer.

Attached Files:

2. Helenaceae

Helenaceae Member

I am not exactly sure what kind of plant you have As for the pest on your plant, it looks to be some kind of Lichen. Some trees and shrubs can develop a layer of fungi, algae, lichens or moss on their bark. These are non-parasitic organisms and do not injure the plants on which they grow, but they can be unsightly when they cover the branches and trunks.

Lichens and moss, particularly, fall into this category. Such growth is most inclined to grow on plants which are lacking in vigour, particularly those which are already beginning to die back. In these circumstances the growth is often unjustly blamed for the poor condition of an affected plant.

Lichens and moss also grow more profusely on trees and shrubs which have been neglected - especially where the branches have become overcrowded. Lichens and moss can also develop on vigorous plants in areas where the humidity is high.

Lichens can be controlled to a certain extent by improving air circulation by pruning out overcrowded branches, and cutting back overhanging vegetation. Following this, try to stimulate new growth by feeding, mulching, watering and applying a foliar feed. Once new growth appears, badly affected shoots can be pruned out.

There are no approved chemicals for treating lichens and moss on trees and shrubs.

Good luck

Helenaceae

3. Stansgig

Stansgig Member

Thank you for the information.

4. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

1. - possibly Azara sp.

2. - Salvia microphylla

5. Stansgig

Stansgig Member

Thank you for your reply.

1. Azara was my initial thought as well, but I learned that Azara has blooms from December through April and definite scent of chocolate or vanila. Our did not produce any blooms. Even last summer we did not see any berries. I gaved it an evergreen slow release fertilizer and will observe how it does.

2. Right on. Thank you!
    I just googled on salvia microphylla and got confirmation. This is my shrub.