Pampas grass......please "return" :(

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by maxie, Apr 20, 2007.

1. maxie

maxie Member

I am new to this forum ......this is my first post.

I purchased a pampus grass one season......and no it didnt come back. I took it to the greenhouse i purchased it from and they were kind enough to replace it.

The new one has grown beautifuly.....and is coming back again.

I inquired at the greenhouse "why" that might have happened.....i was told the wind in the winter and winter itself, can be hard on them.....and "suck the life" out of them.

I was just talking to a friend from Ohio...there she grows them also. I "think" their winters are far more harsh than ours in the lowermainland.

Is there a better explaination for why it failed? Reason i ask....is last year....i planted four more......and they were small at the time. Very. I dont see life in them yet. For a new "small" grass....will it take some time yet, to see it again. the other.....the one replaced two years ago....is indeed on it way back.

If there is something that i can do to aid the growth....please let me know.

Maxie

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some clones aren't very hardy. Also confused with ravenna grass by some, maybe that is her Ohio "pampas grass."

3. maxie

maxie Member

you know i dont know???? i will ask. If that is the case......stands to reason why they come back all the time after a very cold Ohio winter.

Thank you for your response.....i still need to understand......why they may not come back here "for me" anyway in the lowermainland. humm?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've had established 'Pumila' die on Camano Island. LIkely some clones are more hardy than others.

5. maxie

maxie Member

okay then........i think, i am following better. MINE may not have been hardy enough correct? If so, could you offer a suggestion of one that is generaly hardy in this area.

6. maxie

maxie Member

oh gee whiz........forgive me....a sahm and i got kids to answer as well...during, my responding lol.

I take it the type you suggested......"is" good and hardy.

7. maxie

maxie Member

oh i give.....i didnt read your post correctly at all. need to step away form the comp and get out for a bit. Thank you so much anyway for your time. Much appreciated.