Weeds in Blueberry garden

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Dave Semler, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Dave Semler

Dave Semler Member

I have a small compact blueberry garden about 9 feet by 18 feet and find that keeping the weeds down is a hassle. There are nine plants in place, and as I weed the plants do suffer some damage as they are spaced closer together than suggested in articles that I have read. I am considering placing layers of newspapers down and placing a compost/peatmoss mix down in an effort to control the weeds. Is this a reasonable solution for weed control? Thanks.
    Dave

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes it would work for a time but newspaper rots too and maybe your weeds are coming from the compost. How about some mulch the sort that would help your soil stay acidic.
    Liz

3. Dave Semler

Dave Semler Member

Thanks Liz, I have added mulch in the past and that does help. The compost I will be adding will be from our communities recycling site in Delta, BC; that product is pretty well weed free unlike my home produced compost.

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I have a similar blueberry bed and pine straw works well for me-- I keep it 3-6 inches deep and it keeps most of the weeds out-- I do pull a few though.

Skeet

5. pomme8916

pomme8916 Member

I agree that this may be a good solution to the proble. Another way is that you can just mmanually remove weeds.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007