Deer Resistant Plants in Manitoba

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Clare, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Clare

Clare New Member

Re: Deer-resistant plants?

Good Morning from Manitoba, our location is at the most southern tip of Manitoba bordering Ontario and Minnesota.

My question to the experts is what perennial plant could I put in the front of the house facing west below my two large picture windows. I woud prefer a decorative grass or Hosta or somesuch that the deer will not eat. I read the suggestions in this thread and see Dahlias are a good choice and Russian Herbs???? Something smelly. We live on the Buffalo Point resort and realize we must make a stucco wire fence for our small trees and will do but it seems like all we have are Birch trees and fir trees and I would like a variety of some sort if possibble.
    Thank you Clare Brown

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  2. marileeq

marileeq Member

Clare:
    Look for the book "Deer Proofing Your Yard and Garden" by Rhonda Massingham Hart, ISBN 0-88266-988-5. There is a good list of "deer resistant" plants listed, but bear in mind, they will try and eat anything if they are hungry enough. After 8 years of fighting them off, and seeing the herds increase every year with the birth of triplets to almost every female, we are resorting to a 7-8' high fence with stucco wire this year.