Oh, deer

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by chuckrkc, May 21, 2006.

1. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

From The Associated Press: Secretary at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, was attacked by a deer when she took a shortcut thorugh a woods on campus. "The deer knocked the woman to the ground and delivered a flurry of kicks. Emery, screaming, curled into a ball as the snorting animal rained blows on her, slicing open one of her ears and leaving her with huge bruises and a hoofprint on her hand."

From earlier in the story:"'I could tell it was angry, but I wasn't sure what about,' she says. 'I know by the time I was in the area she was really mad and going to take it all out on me. I couldn't have run if I tried.'"

Never heard of aggressive deer. My one personal deer story comes from a former residence of mine that I called the Cabin. Deer had eaten my lilies and several other things and one morning while I was strolling with a cup of coffee I found a doe and a fawn were down by the barn curled up napping. I gave each one a kick to their hindquarters. They woke up and sulked off like some grumpy teenagers.

2. candleberry

candleberry Member

I had to laugh at your deer and fawn story!

I always feel a little insulted when I run towards my deer, waving my arms and yelling Booga Booga Booga at them. They watch with mild interest until I'm about 10 ft away, slowly turn and walk away. They haven't the decency to even pretend to be alarmed!

Cheeky little brats.

3. marileeq

marileeq Member

In Kimberley, deer approach humans looking for handouts. If you yell or wave, you are just ignored. Be glad when the deer run away - or even walk away!