I need organic herbacide to kill morning glory, but not agapanthus...

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by edgeworth, Apr 17, 2007.

1. edgeworth

edgeworth Active Member

I need to kill morning glory growing amongst a mass planting of Agapanthus on the oceanfront in West Vancouver.

Any suggestions for a herbicide that won't damage the Agapanthus or create nasty run-off into the ocean?

2. edgeworth

edgeworth Active Member

There is also chickweed and dandylions in the mass of Agapanthus.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

FWIW you might want to check in to the current bylaw regarding pesticide use in your area. http://www.westvancouver.ca/upload/pcdocsdocuments//475Q01!.pdf For an organic herbicide you could consider boiling water, corn gluten meal and acetic acid products. Varied opinions on efficacy of those products are easy to search on the web.

4. edgeworth

edgeworth Active Member

Thank you Jimmy, that is very useful. It lists 'Herbicidal Soaps' as acceptable. Any ideas?

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

there was a product from Safers a few years back called Topgun, basically it was a dessicant, caused the leaves to transpire at a fantastic rate in hot weather, non selective, doesnt kill anything other than the foliage per application. I used it once on a warm day on clover growing in asphalt, it turned black and was dehydrated within an hour. Never sold real well at the store though, you might not be able to find it anymore.