Boston Ivy - Bugs or other issue?

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by kaegueld, Jun 26, 2006.

1. kaegueld

kaegueld Member

Hello all,

I have a beautiful old brick house with great old Boston Ivy vines growing all over. We had some die back this year right in the middle of the wall which we have not seen before. I then had some holes appearing in the middle and some munching going on around some of the largest leaves. I talked to the local nursery and got some general bug spray for 'black beetles' that they said were having midnight snacks. I sprayed and it appeared that all was well. Now, about 2 weeks later, I see that I am having the growth (vine) turning brown as well as around the edges on the leaves out towards the ends. I thought that perhaps I was overwatering, as in past years I have kind of ignored it and it grew very well. This year we put in a patio (very careful not to disturb the rooting area by the house) and so I have been watering everything more... I tried starting some other vines around the other side of the house last fall and they seemed to do well earlier, but now they are also getting the brown die back and the leaves turning brown around the edges. Could I have a fungus or another infestation I can check for?

Thanks for any and all responses... I will be just sick if I do something to cause a problem or my failure to act causes me to lose these very old vines!

2. kaegueld

kaegueld Member

About 50 views and no replies? I am disappointed. I thought I would get some help....

3. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

In general Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) has few insect and disease problems. The brown margins on the leaves may be the result of leaf scorch. You had mentioned that you built a patio this year. I do not know how far the patio is from the vine, however, if it is in the vicinity the roots may have been damaged during its installation. Root systems extend further than most realize. Damage to the fine feeder roots would reduce the amount of water the plant takes up, resulting in leaf scorch. I have made a lot of assumptions, and cannot say for sure if this is the problem without seeing the site. I will say that Boston Ivy is a very tough vine, and there is little that you can do to kill the plant. The roots will re-establish in time and the problem will likely disappear in years following.

This perhaps sounds silly, but is there a possibility that the die back in the middle was from a birds nest? I have seen birds nest in these vines creating a whole. As long as they do not return in years following, the vine will quickly fill in the leafless area.

Raakel

4. kaegueld

kaegueld Member

Dear Raakel,

"I will say that Boston Ivy is a very tough vine, and there is little that you can do to kill the plant." Thank goodness! It sure sounds like that is what has happened. We left the roots alone along the house but did end up compacting and putting in a brick patio within about 4 feet. This area used to get more moisture than it is now, so perhaps I will try doing some more watering of the immediate root area. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

"The roots will re-establish in time and the problem will likely disappear in years following" I will hope so!

Thanks!

Kaegueld

5. escarpment

escarpment Member

Dear Kaegueld,

I have several Boston Ivy plants covering about an east facing wall of my studio, roughly 10' high by 25' long. For over 12 years it has been absolutely pest free. It is partially shaded by a large ash tree. This past year I noticed a small black beetle about 1/16" in size and treated with insecticidal soap on two occasions with limited success. As summer progressed, more and more leaves were dotted with 1/8" and larger holes. Turning over a number of leaves revealed what I assumed to be the larval stage of the beetle dining away. The ivy never seemed to recover fully from the first wave of insects and a few bare spots remained throughout the summer, when in the past it was a green and lush living wall. We had a tough late spring storm with bitter cold and high winds which shredded a good deal of the foliage on the ash tree which contributed to more sunlite penetration. I plan to talk to our county ag agent this winter to see if they have had reports of similiar problems in my area. I am thinking of trying a dormant oil spray in early spring to see if that mitigates the infestation.

6. kaegueld

kaegueld Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I will check it out with the local ag office. I had a botonist check out a few other things with the trees in the yard, but he wasn't too familiar with vines... Thanks again!

7. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Escarpment, did you find out the type of beetle that was found on your Ivy? Some but few beetles lay their eggs on plants, in which a dormant spray could be effective. Many beetles lay their eggs in the ground, and then a contact treatment when you find them present could be more effective.

Being in the pest management business, I have noticed a decline in health of many plants over the last few years. With unusal holes in the leaves [quite often between veins] and the edges often deteriating, resembling root weevel damage. As well as rapid dieback on some plants. I have not found insects present and after a variety of samples sent to our Min of Agriculture, plants sciences dept. [to no avail of finding disease], I am a serious believer that climate change is the culprit.

When you say Ivy, I think of about a dozen well established Ivy beds I've seen this season alone that have suffered dieback in the center areas. One common factor is that none of these people have ever had or needed a watering program. I believe that time has changed for these people's gardens, and water, even fertilizer is now very important in saving the rest of their Ivy.

The symptoms I mentioned above are not specific to any one variety of plant, but are exactly the same on hundreds of plant varieties. As I pointed out to jimmyq at the riverview tree walk last summer. Jim

8. nancypetty

nancypetty Member

I'm going to try something new this week will let you know if it work it a spary you mack at home with garlice and chill pepper said it could brun some plant I will spary tomarow 4-17-07 and let you know how it gose if it works it cheep easy and safe wish me luck

9. daraddishman

daraddishman Member

I'm seeing some odd stuff with my potted English Ivy, it's developed a nasty case of aphids. And really early in the year too, I'm used to seeing aphids in the summer, not the spring! It also developed a strange black 'smut' on some of the leaves. I'm betting this is aphid dew turning old.

I mention this because the weather has been a bit odd this year, from what people who've lived in the lower mainland longer than I are saying anyway. I've been seeing a lot of winter kill and die back around my neighborhood, so maybe your Ivy is suffering a bit from that?

I do not know. It may just be stressed out from the patio, climate changes, bugs, and wind.