Slow site

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by M. D. Vaden, Apr 16, 2007.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Re: Electrical upgrades

Entering the site, and loading pages here, has been almost painfully slow each of the past 4 or 5 days - even today.

Like 20 seconds to a minute moving from page to page, or topic to posting window, etc..

Every other website I use, is moving at normal speed.

We've reset our modem and router several times, with no improvement.

Is this related to the electrical project?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No problem here.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, the electrical project was a building electrical upgrade. We did upgrade the server to the latest operating system, and that could possibly have some effect.

Anyone else experiencing this?

(if your firewall caches DNS information, this _might_ be the issue - the web site was assigned a different numerical address temporarily while the building upgrade was being done to post the electrical upgrades message - and it takes a while for that information to be flushed and return to normal with DNS caching)

4. bioramani

bioramani Member

Was slow yesterday. Would not load at all. Quite normal today.

bioramani

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Normal here at the bottom of the world

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Mario, let me know what firewall software you are using - as that seems the likely culprit.

I'd also suggest emptying your browser cache, though I doubt that will fix the issue.

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Ahhh.... Hahhhh....

Finally.....

Check out the day I started this thread - April ?

Today, for the first time, the website and forum pages load fast in a couple of seconds, not 15 to 30 second waits.

Even a month ago, we had a power outage that caused me to have my modem reset. And the cable company had me call Linksys who walked me through reseting our router completely. And I cleaned my computer cache several times.

Yet... loading at UBC was "slower than an old dog". Several other forums and most websites were speedy. Never figured it out.

Then, today, the unknown slowness vanished. Now I can post a bit more.