British Columbia: Spring Plant/Seed/Etc. Swap: Sunday April 22nd/07

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by westcoastgarden, Mar 10, 2007.

1. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

This swap is now cancelled (please see the thread for details). We hope to run a successful one in the fall. Stay tuned.

This springs lower mainland swap will be in Maple Ridge on Sunday April 22nd from 1:00pm to 4:00pm. All are welcome. We have been doing this for a few years and the spring swap is a great time to trade extra seedlings, dahlia tubers, plant divisions, seeds, pots, houseplants...pretty much anything a gardener might want or need.

As the swap will be held at a private residence, the exact location will be sent by private email to participants closer to the date.

Here is how it works: Post your list of items/plants etc. available under the second thread titled "Trading lists for April 22nd Swap". Arrange swaps by private email or on this thread (please only use the trading list thread for your lists). As you trade items/plants use the "edit" function to update your list on the trading thread.

I hope that was clear. Please ask if you have any questions.

While most trades are prearranged, it is a good idea to bring a few plants etc. for on the spot trading.

Cheers,

WestCoastGarden.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I plan to be there and will get round to posting my seedling list in a couple of days. Can't wait. I've been singing my favourite song for a week now: "Winter's almost gone, oh how I've waited so long, for summer nights....."

3. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

I will make my best to come to the swap. Is Aussie Bob out there? Are you coming to the swap too?

Helen

4. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

G'day H. (and others)...

I'll do my best to make it....can someone get me the info on location etc etc etc....

Cheers

5. westcoastgarden

I've sent you a private message.

WCG

6. Magua

Magua Member

Hi, all,

I might not be able to make it, but we'll see. I am working on day shift, so it would be unlikely that I can make it from UBC to Maple Ridge in an hour or so. I might take the day off anyway. :) I'll post whatever I have in the trade list anyway.

Rene

7. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I plan to be there too! I have a fern for you, Aussie Bob, so I'm glad you're coming. Will see what else looks divisible once the rain stops.

8. westcoastgarden

I've shifted the swap half an hour earlier. I changed it in the first message but just want to make sure everyone notices.

Thanks!

WCG

9. westcoastgarden

Does anyone have tomato and pepper seedlings? I am looking for determinate variety tomatoes - nothing too large, as I grow them in large pots. Also peppers.

I kind of missed the boat starting them from seed. I am going to sow a few this weekend but I am worried I am too late.

I've just posted my trading list on the other thread.

Thanks,

WCG

10. Candy

Candy Active Member

I'm in. I'm not sure I have anything you haven't all seen before, but I'll see what I've got.

11. teeka

teeka Member

ok, I'll start this off, I'd like Hosta 'Halcyon' from Karin. Anyone have any blue corydalis? Ivy geraniums?
    thanks, Donna (Teeka)

12. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

teeka - I can bring you some corydalis elata.

Hey all - I'm not making a list this year because I've been flooded out of my home and it won't be liveable for at least 3 months so I'll bring whatever of my seedlings and whatnots that survive.

By the way, I lost my computer and I can't access my normal email so if anyone needs to contact me, please PM me via the UBC Forum.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  13. westcoastgarden

Candy,

I am working on several troughs and could use some rockery plants.

Also, I am intrigued by "magic carpet thyme"

Teeka - I don't have ivy geraniums but I have started Black Velvet "Scarlet" geraniums from seed and have a couple of extra. They are tiny.

Sorry to hear about the flood BCgift.

14. KarinL

I'll put a piece of Halcyon aside for you, Teeka. A lily bulb would be nice in exchange, if that's OK.

WCG, I'd take that Hot Cocoa rose. I might have a rockery plant for you in trade, or would you like something else off my list?

15. Candy

Candy Active Member

Magic Carpet Thyme.

I started it from seed last year (seeds from Veseys), and it's doing well in a tough spot next to a pathway. It's got tiny leaves like wooly thyme (perhaps even smaller), but they're smooth and dark green. I've pulled six divisions.

Here's what Veseys says

Thymus serpyhllum

Finally a really low creeping thyme from seed. Only 2 inches high, this fine-textured plant is perfect for between your stepping stones, as a ground cover or in a rock garden. It also has a great lemony scent and bright pink flowers for 2-3 months in early to mid summer. Prefers full sun. Approximately 275 seeds per package, 5500 seeds per gram. Zones 4-8.

http://www.veseys.com/us/en/store/herbs/thymep/magiccarpet/image?veseys=7a5avsqrheafgm5d54h7labhf4

Attached Files:

16. Candy

Candy Active Member

WCG, I'd love gypsophila and coreopsis, please.

I'll bring a variety of rockery plants -- I don't think I've got anything too exciting, but I'll bring what I have, including some MC Thyme.

17. tmanky

tmanky Member

Hello,

I am new to this forum but saw a posting on CL about this plant swap. I really don't think I have much but maybe someone might like to swap for the stuff I do have. :-)

I have a bunch of lilies - tiger lilies I think - and a bunch of seedings of other perenials that have re-seeded themselves from last year. I am kinda waiting to see what pops up. I am still sorta starting up my garden but am hoping that there might be some people willing to share nevertheless. I'd love to get some butterfly bush, clematis, sweet peas, honeysuckle, jasmine, and pretty much any other perenials. I am definately willing to pay a bit but can't quite afford the cost of getting it all from a nursery...lol.

- Tara

18. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Hi Tara
    Welcome to the swap - I can bring you a white butterfly bush, possibly a purple as well and some clematis (heracleifolia, flammula, intricata). Hmm, I can't use any new plants just yet as I'm planning another move in the next little while but we can swap for 'future considerations'.

19. tmanky

tmanky Member

Wow! Thank you so much! "Future Considerations" definately works for me. Has a location been revealed yet for the swap or are we still lingering in suspense?

20. KarinL

The location gets emailed to declared participants individually. It isn't meant to be posted on the forum because it is at someone's house. Also, no money changes hands at these swaps.

21. westcoastgarden

Hi Folks,

It is only a week from the swap date and there is very little trading activity taking place (compared to previous swaps).

Also, by my count we have less than a handful of people who are commited to attending.

I have to ask the question - should we postpone this to the fall?

To make the effort of driving out to Maple Ridge worthwhile, there should be at least 10 people participating.

WCG

22. Helen Leung

I would prefer to have it in the fall. But I'm okay with spring too. Either way, I still have to dig up the plants. Maybe we should see who lives out in the Maple Ridge area and who lives in the Vancouver area. Is it too much of a drive? For me, it is. Since I don't drive, I have to convince Cecelia to come and she feels bad because she has nothing to trade for this year.

What happen to all the other people from last fall? If you guys are planning to come, could we have a head count please? Like WCG said, it's a bit of a drive for some.

23. teeka

teeka Member

I'm in Surrey and I don't really want to drive out to MR for
    one plant. I thought there would be a bit more activity. If there
    is anyone else in the Surrey/Delta/Langley areas maybe we could
    car-pool? I'd be more interested in a spring exchange than a fall one though. Anyone else lurking out there have anything to trade?
    Donna

24. westcoastgarden

I have a notebook I use for these trades - it helps me keep track of plant names, what I still owe people etc.

For each swap I have attended to date, I have had between 43 and 78 prearranged trades.

The first time I met everyone at a swap it was held at my place, so I know Maple Ridge isn't completely the problem. That time we had about ten gardeners show up - though it was one of the smaller swaps.

I think the cold, wet, late spring is also dampening enthusiasm.

Even if we do cancel this one, we all keep in touch and take the opportunities to meet individually when they arise.

WCG

25. Helen Leung

I just talked to Cecelia. She doesn't want to come now. So I have no ride. Sorry. Hope I'll see you all in the Fall instead.

Helen