spider.mites!!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by PlantJunkie, Apr 8, 2007.

1. PlantJunkie

PlantJunkie Member

i.just.got.a.gardenia.from.my.mom.and.i.think.it.has.spider.mites.because.its.all.spiderwebby.and.has.like.little.balls.in.the.webs.whats.the.best.way.to.take.care.of.this.and.the.plant.itself.is.lookin.kinda.rough...how.can.i.fix.this!!...(my.spacebar.is.broken..grrr!!)

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Firstly you need to get a new keyboard! lol!

There are lots of spays that will kill them, but I understand that breaking the webs with your finger and misting the plant (they don't like it damp) will keep them under control. Sounds simple, but I think it is supposed to be.

Great luck,
    M.

3. PlantJunkie

PlantJunkie Member

wow-that-was-quick!:-)
    Thanks-Ill-try-it-and-see-what-happens

4. mr.eric

mr.eric Member

neem oil is an all organic way to keep mite numbers down spray the undersides of the leaves every 3 days for 12 days. also try pyrithium. if organics are not important to you then wipe them out by qurentine with 7 dust or spray. i hate spider mites!!

5. PlantJunkie

PlantJunkie Member

Do-I-need-to-worry-about-that-plant-infesting-my-others?

6. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

It would be a good idea to move it away for a while, but you should have the mite under control in no time.

7. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

A note of caution on purchasing Gardenias - I think that spider mites are a very common problem with them. I have purchased a number of Gardenias over the years and all of them seemed to develope mite problems.

Anne

8. Stansgig

Stansgig Member

I do not have a solution for gardenia, but wish to give you a ward of warning, read the label on any spray very carefully and do not use anything that is not recomended for gardenias. I lost mine to the spray which sufficated the gardenias.

I also had the mites on few other plants and washing and wiping the foliage with mild soap water got rid of themfor good while 3 applications of a commercial insectecide did not.

Good luck!