Tomato Plants - 1 Month old

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Anne58, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

It was nice and warm out today for a change so I put the tomato plants out to get some fresh air and sunshine.

These plants are approximately 1 month old. Most have their first 3 sets of secondary leaves with the 4th set just starting and the stems are starting to bulk up nicely now.

I transplanted them from the seed flats into individual pots about 2 weeks ago, burying as much of the stem as was possible. They had their first dose of epsom salts this week and that will probably be it until I need to get them transplanted again.

Tomatoes - 2007a
    Tomatoes - 2007b

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

3. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Hi Durgan,

Foliar spraying is what I generally use on my pepper plants once they are growing nicely in the garden. This will be my first time using epsom salts on the tomatoes though. I try a foliar spray with the salts as an addition to the usual fertilizing I do.

Anne

4. EnglishGardener

EnglishGardener Member

Nice looking plants. I am going to sow my tomato plants today. I hope they turn out as good as yours.

5. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Good luck!

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to meet the 'standard' that Durgan has set with his seedlings but I think that good potting medium (I use sterilized, well aged compost) light, water and some TLC goes a long way to help the little plants do their best.

Anne

6. EnglishGardener

EnglishGardener Member

Thanks for the good luck. I have sown the seed using multi-purpose compost in fibre pots. I have placed the pots in the greenhouse and watered them and will wait and see what grows!