Please help...What on earth did I buy??

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by hibielover, Mar 15, 2007.

1. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

At an orchid show recently,I purchased a huge, what I thought to be a Cattleya. [the vender told me it was scented and a Catt. The tag on this plant says:L.Pulcherima on one side, and L.purpuratumcamea x L.labata 'Jeni', on the other. Yes, I tried looking it up on the net, but couldn't come up with what type,etc. this orchid is. So thought I would try the forum, to see if anyone could help!?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably a Laeliocattleya.

3. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Hi Ron B, I have a Laeliocatt, and its tag says: Lc. I guess it does'nt really matter, I guess i'll wait till it blooms [bought it with one pb,with a sheath] Also,guess a lesson was learned! Don't buy, what you don't check out thourougly!

4. Ron B

Well, maybe it's a Laelia then.

5. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thanks Ron,if it gets to blooming, I'll post a pic of the flower. I'm thinking, its pretty tough to judge, by the greenery.

6. SierraM

SierraM Member

Lc = Laeliocattleya
    L= Laelia
    Seems to be a Laelia x Laelia cross
    Usually similar growing conditions to a Cattleya
    Good luck & enjoy

7. Ron B

Label could have been written by someone not using conventions for abbreviations, in which case "L." might not necessarily = Laelia only. Otherwise, yes, it would seem to be a Laelia. You can probably find the rest of its naming listed somewhere with some searching or by asking some orchid people.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The second pic looks like it might be Jasminum sambac, but it's a bit too small to tell for sure.

9. smivies

smivies Active Member

10. Ron B

I get the second picture, have thought maybe it was being used as an icon.

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nope, it's a signature picture!

12. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The one with "Take Care,FM" just below it. Could be an icon. Great ikes from little icons grow!

13. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thanks Sierra and Ron. I took a pic today, of a shadow, in the sheath of the plant. I'm hoping its the emerging flowers!!?

Attached Files:

14. SierraM

SierraM Member

Well, IF what you have is Laelia Pulcherima (laelia puprpurata x l. lobata) then you have a seriously misspelled label <G>. It's a beautiful plant with both purple and alba forms. There are photos of both forms located here at - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/HelenaV/Species/ldre.jpg
    Love to see which form you have.

Attached Files:

15. Ron B

Not being familiar with 'signature picture' I used "icon" to convey the idea.

16. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Oh My!! if this is what I have, i'll be so happy!!! lol Thank you for the lovely pic, Sierra, and I'll keep you posted as to what kind it is!! Alba, means white?? Thanks Ron, for straitening out the missunderstanding on my sig. pic. It is a Jasmine called 'Maid of Orleans' and is just delicious scented!!

17. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Sorry, my missunderstanding!! Thank you, Daniel, for clearing that lol!!

18. SierraM

SierraM Member

Still new at this so I missed the second pic. Yes, alba's the white form. Image below (I hope)

Attached Files:

19. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Wow! Its sweet too! I guess I'll be happy with either! Thanks again Sierra!!

20. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

To get back to your original question: your plant is probably a complex Laelia hybrid. The confusing label arises from the common practice of orchid breeders selling off all their surplus seedling plants as unnamed hybrids, designated by hybrid formulas rather than by registered grex names. If you have trouble understanding what that means, do a search on "orchid hybrids" or "orchid hybrid names" and you will find some helpful articles.

The names on your label are garbled, maybe badly handwritten or just plain misspelt. The first parent should be Laelia Pulcherrima. This is the grex name for crosses of L. lobata and L. purpurata.

That has been crossed with another hybrid, the cross inside the brackets. The first parent inside the brackets is Laelia purpurata 'Carnea', the second is Laelia lobata 'Jeni'. Unless I misunderstand the naming rules for orchids, this should also take the grex name Laelia Pulcherrima!

What this all seems to amount to is the cross Laelia Pulcherrima x Laelia Pulcherrima, which should therefore still take the name Laelia Pulcherrima! Though presumably there is a mix of color selections ('Jeni', 'Carnea' and maybe others too) among the parent plants. But these don't alter the grex name.

What seems to be certain is that your plant is a Laelia, not a Laeliocattleya.

21. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thank you Tony! I knew it was'nt a Laliocattleya, because I have one of those, and it is labled Lc. The vender at the time, told me it was a Catt, and it wasn't before I got it home that I had a good look at the tag. Whichever, it appears that it's going to bloom, so her name can be Mystery, until she flowers!! lol

22. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Well,shes started to open!! It appears to me, it probably will look similar to this pic you posted Sierra. I'll post in a few days, the fully opened flower.

Attached Files: