New And Lost...Need Help! :-/

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by MNC3985, Apr 5, 2007.

1. MNC3985

MNC3985 Member

Hi my name is Megan, i'm new and completely lost! lol I took my daughter to an aquarium last month and on the way out they had a garden. I saw these flowers that have got to be the craziest looking things i've ever seen. I said the name to myself that was on the identification sign and for the life of me I can't figure out what it was. I emailed the horticulturist there and I dont think she has any idea what i'm talking about. So heres a little description.

They start out looking like a fully bloomed (round) flower, kind of a ball shape, cream in color, it lays very close to the ground with large green leafs. I would have to say the flower itself is about the diameter of a softball, so its not small. As they grow, they grow upward into a christmas tree like shape and the blooms on them turn into a medium blue/purple shade. The ones I saw stood about a foot off the ground. I remember the sign said "Dwarf ____" and dont hold me to this but I think the name started with a P. I know this isnt the best description but its the only thing I can come up with.
    If anyone could help I would soooo greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

2. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

Gee, read your thread twice and don't get the visual. Too bad you didn't get a chance to take a pic. Folks here are super clever in IDing plants. Sorry.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm going to take a wild guess - allium. I think it is Allium karataviense that is cream-coloured and low to the ground. I'm not sure about the blue, but given the time of year, this is an option.

4. treeguy123

treeguy123 Active Member

Does "Dwarf Pincushion Flower" sound right maybe?

This is just what I've thought it looks like by your description. Does it look like this?

Attached Files:

5. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hydrangea?

6. Rima

Rima Active Member

How about Lupin? Google 'Lupin, image" and see what comes up.

7. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you want to look at that one, try Lupine. You get weird results if you google Lupin. Here is one that looks like a Christmas tree IMAGE
    BTW, I really like treeguy123's illustration! It fits the description.