Transplanting Grape Vines

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jardinero, Apr 4, 2007.

1. jardinero

jardinero Member

Hello,

I have read the other posts regarding transplanting grapes, but have a few more questions. First, when is the best time of year to attempt this? (I am zone 5) I would like to be able to do this soon, as presently they are growing on a makeshift trellis fashioned out of old plumping and sticks (made by the previous house owner) and it is not very nice to look at nor very safe. I would like to relocate the grapes to along the back fence. This brings me to my second question...How do I train it to grow on a different support? Also, do I need to prepare the soil in any way prior to the transplant? I know very little about gardening (but am eager to learn) and don't know what variety of grapes I am dealing with (some are red and some are green--that's about all I know). From what we can tell, there are about 5 stocks and they look like older plants as a couple of the stocks are quite thick.

I am grateful for any information to aid in the success of this transplant.

Thank you.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Prune first, brutally (from your perspective if you're new at this), and then transplant. Train the new growth as it emerges.
    http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/grape_pruning_basics.htm
    Read all the other posts about moving old vines, and the usual practices on transplants. Grapes are pretty resilient.

Ralph

3. jardinero

jardinero Member

Thank you for your reply Ralph. The information is very helpful.