Fruit tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by catmunn, Apr 2, 2007.

1. catmunn

catmunn Member

I wish to grow a fruit tree. I would like anyone with experience to let me know what grows best here, is most diease-resistant and stays relatively small. I was thinking of a dwarf cherry tree 'stella compacta' or an early Italian plum. The site has lots of sun, but is out in a wide open with no wind breaks. Can anyone help me select one-I already know how to prune.

Thank you,
    Catherine.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Try a dwarf apple tree. Can get cross-pollination with one specimen by planting multiple graft ("combo" or "3-way"/"4-way") tree. May have trouble finding one with all branches best cultivars for this area (some I looked at this year had branches of 'Golden Delicious' included) but otherwise you have to plant more than one suitable tree for cross-pollination, unless a compatible pollinator happens to be growing nearby. May also have to tip back one of the branches in future to keep it from dominating, often multiple graft trees will have one of the branches grow more vigorously than the others.

3. catmunn

catmunn Member

Thank you for your suggestion. I love apples and those 3-in one are amazing. I was also thinking of a dwarf cherry or an early Italian plum. I have to decide how much to invest because it's a community orchard and everyone owns a plot-the young trees may get stolen! It a very public area.

Catherine Munn.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cherries are not nearly as easy to get satisfactory results from, apart from disease issues they are subject to being stripped of their fruits by birds. Italian prune does well in this region and crops without cross pollination, however fruits may sometimes be apt to quickly go moldy when ripening.

5. catmunn

catmunn Member

Thank you for your response. I may just stick to blueberries, rasberries and maybe huckleberry-but I love plums, so I will pick them in time.