Corylopsis photos

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by decumbent, Apr 2, 2007.

1. decumbent

decumbent Member

I've been trying the best I can to gather up a decent photo collection of Corylpsis species in bloom this year. Difficult due to the rarity of these plants. Here's a species that I thought looked very nice at Dawes Arboretum, Newark, Ohio.

Corylopsis sinensis calvescens

Scott

Attached Files:

2. decumbent

decumbent Member

Here are the flowers.

Scott

Attached Files:

3. decumbent

decumbent Member

Here is a close-up of Corylopsis glabrescens.

Scott

Attached Files:

4. decumbent

decumbent Member

Corylopsis platypetala.

Scott

Attached Files:

5. decumbent

decumbent Member

Corylopsis spicata.

Scott

Attached Files:

6. PrairieGirl

PrairieGirl Member

Scott~Excellent pics! I feel so special, since I know that you know I was "looking" at these. LOL Alas, I have concluded that I need to stick to witch hazel, that extra zone is just too tempting. So close. I never knew there were so many.

7. decumbent

decumbent Member

PG,

The first two were taken at Dawes, which is a solid zone five. If I remember right, David 5311 has got C. pauciflora up in Michigan, or he might have had it at his other garden. We'll have to check on that.

That C. sinensis calvescens was really a cool plant, but I don't know much about it. I'm not sure how available it is, too.

Scott

8. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

I have been wanting one for years and after seeing those pictures I am gettting one today! Thanks for sharing those pictures Scott.

9. PrairieGirl

PrairieGirl Member

That is encouraging news Scott. Levilyla ~Which one are you getting, and where are you buying it? I'm tempted by Corylopsis glabrescens, which I have seen listed as zone 5, needing wind protection, and slightly amended, acidic soil. Please enable me, LOL.

10. smivies

smivies Active Member

C. glabrescens didn't survive the winter in my zone 5 garden. It hit -17ºF during it's first winter, without snowcover....not a walk in the park, but something that happens every 3-4 years. I had planted it the previous spring and it had the whole summer to get established. I was comfortable enough with the conditions around it's demise that I didn't feel the need to try another.

As for Dawes arboretum being a solid zone 5, that may be true but there is undoubtedly a difference given their extensive Ilex collection vs. the complete failure of all Ilex here except I. x meserveae. I personally wouldn't use Dawes as an indicator of what I can grow here.....maybe downtown Toronto, Windsor, or the Niagara peninsula though (which are 6b zones).

Simon

11. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

PG..Corylopsis glabrences is the one I want to try. I have a much "better" climate than you. 7 is heaven remember?

12. decumbent

decumbent Member

In just doing a bit more research (more to follow), I have learned that Corylopsis platypetala is synomous with C. sinensis calvescens.

Scott

13. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

14. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Actually with this hideous weather we are havng now I dcided to wait on my purchase. What one would you suggest to be the best Scott?

15. decumbent

decumbent Member

I'm trying to figure out what that plant called C. sinensis calvescens that I sall, smelled, and photographed at Dawes is and where, if anywhere, I can get it. I thought that plant was incredible. Forest Farm mentioned the syn. thing under their listing for C. platypetala. I think Dirr alluded to them possibly being the same, but the link MichaelF posted definitely lists them separately. I might try to email the propagator at Dawes I know and ask him what he thinks. I'd also like to go back and observe the shrub sans flowering. But it was awesome in bloom!

scott

16. Kevin_5

Kevin_5 Member

Fairweather Gardens lists for sale C. gotoana(Zone 5 and noted as the hardiest), C. sinensis, C. willmottiae 'Spring Purple', C pauciflora, and C. sinensis f. veitchiana(which they say is aka C sinensis var. calvescens)

17. decumbent

decumbent Member

There will be a brief intermission while I run off and find my Fairweather Gardens catalog and check this out.

Scott

18. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In addition to taxonomic interpretations you have to factor in mis-labeling and infraspecific variation (not all specimens of a species may be like one you find and like).

Best to read up on what defines a species you find a good-looking plant labeled as so you can check its identification and will know what traits stock in nurseries travelling under the same name is supposed to have. I've seen multiple corylopsis plants in outlets here I didn't think fit the bill.

At the moment 3 kinds hold the RHS Award of Garden Merit.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSPlantFinder/plantfinder2.asp?crit=corylopsis and agm&Genus=Corylopsis

The veitchiana, as known in gardens is very nice, with wide-open flowers and contrasting orangish anthers.

19. phrago

phrago Member

As Always, Scott, Great Photos. I might be tempted to try one of these but my property is very windy...