Should I move my compost outside?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by theftalanus, Mar 28, 2007.

1. theftalanus

theftalanus Active Member

I made a shelter to put the compost in to protect it from the rain and stuff.....should i keep it inside or keep it inside....?

2. hortfreak

hortfreak Active Member Maple Society

Outside definitely, unless you are using worms (which could also be outside). What kind of shelter? Did you mean a bin? Moisture is needed, but you don't want too much either, so some kind of covering over the top is not a bad idea.

3. theftalanus

well its not done but i have made a shelter out of a shoe box and put insolation int it and a water proof roof....i am using red wiggler worms....

4. hortfreak

I am assuming you mean a plastic shoe box. What size is it? It would seem to be very small for composting. Are you trying to do the common type of composting or worm composting or a combination of the two-common composting aided by worms? I am having a little trouble grasping just what it is you are trying to do. Bear with me.

5. theftalanus

no a cardboard shoe box.....i covered it with plastic and made it water proof the size is about 1 1/2 feet..

6. hortfreak

Okay, I think I am starting to get the picture. The shoe box is not big enough. You could get a storage container, such as a Rubbermaid one, that has a tight fitting cover. You need more room. And I would leave it indoors. I suggest that you google "vermiculture" and do a little reading so you will know the proper way to go about this. Good luck.

7. theftalanus

ok ummmmmm yeah i put it outside and i forgot to take it in and they froze to death (ooooppppsss)