vines

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by vine1, Mar 26, 2007.

1. vine1

vine1 Member

Hi, i.m wondering if anyone can help me what type of vines or creepers would do well along a wire fence, this would be mostly for privacy but also for a nice view. I have quite a long distance to cover, approx-150 feet on just one side. Or if there are any other sugestions i would greatly appreciate it. Also, i live in winnipeg manitoba, so a good time to plant seeds or plants (the vines). Once again thanks for your time, Rick

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I use a thing called potato vine. I think it is a type of Jasamine. Growes very quickly and can be pruned with garden shears. Likes lots of light otherwise it climbs looking for it. The vine I have is a very plain white clusters of flowers on a dark vine. I notice on web site various varieties including a blue. Have seen that here. Maybe you could mix the two. It may also be a considered a weed, however given all the noxious weeds we have here in the bush I have not heard of this one getting away.. Bannana passion fruit is another I mingel. It has a pink bell flower. This one does get away in our forests because the birds eat the fruit. Also suitable for human consumption. Ordinary Passion fruit may grow where you are. I also have some ivy trained through wire and it makes a great hedge. Again suitable for shearing. Honey suckle does well on the fence down the front. Best if trained through the wires. I have created a thing I once saw refered to as a tapestry headge where I mix climbers, roses, even geraniums and the fine old fashioned fushias along my wire fences. The show is very nice and the privacy is excellent. Also by using climbers you only need a couple to cover the area and they don't eat as much as a whole hedge. I just realised you are in cold area this could be a problem for fast growing. I suspect the ivy is one of the few on my note that would work.
    Liz

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2078/index.html

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Check on hardiness of Boston ivy and Virginia creeper.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You are really limited to what you can grow as vines. Virginia creeper and wild river grape (which is a native to Manitoba, by the way) are 2 that will certainly work zone-wise. Depending on your local conditions, you might also have luck with hops, a few Clematis, or some honeysuckles.

Another alternative would be annual vines - some of the cucurbits will grow to cover the fence by the end of summer with all of your Manitoba sunshine (assuming this is a sunny spot), but, of course, will only provide that privacy for a few months of the year.

5. vine1

vine1 Member

Thanks for your reply,i will give the ivy a try.
    Rick

6. kia796

kia796 Active Member

For fast coverage of 150 feet, I would recommend Virginia Creeper. When mature, both creeper and ivy will cover the fence densely, but ivy will lose the race to creeper.

I've got both...Virginia Creeper's scarlet Fall colour is stunning, whereas the ivy seems to go where it's NOT wanted...up my house foundation, then under the vinyl siding.

Ivy = Roundup at my place.

7. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi. I live in a fairly cold climate and have a beautiful Virginia Creeper on my chain link and wooden fences. It is hardy and grows very quickly. The red leaves in fall are stunning.