Transplanting field grown conifers

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Unregistered, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Is it safe to dig and transplant field grown conifers during the summer? We have hedging cedars Thuja Occidentalis 'Pyramidalis', and 'Smaragd', with varieties of Abies, Picea, Pinus, and Sequoiadendron.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2004
  2. T. Shane Freeman

T. Shane Freeman Active Member

Typically there is minimal problem transplanting conifers in the summer. I have found that the best results are achieved when the tree is transplanted after the new candle growth has hardened off. Here in southern Manitoba, this takes place around the end of June to start of July. I also try to avoid transplanting during the hottest part of summer.

No matter how careful you are, the trees being transplanted are still going to go into shock. Just be diligent with the tender-loving-care (tlc) and the trees should pull through fine. I was taught that for every inch of trunk diameter, you should expect to spend a year giving tlc. Therefore, if you have a four inch diameter tree, you should expect to spend 4 years carrying buckets of water!