please help me with a schefflera cutting!

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by jeffur, Dec 1, 2006.

1. jeffur

jeffur Member

hello, i'm moving from new york to san francisco and can't take my beloved schefflera plant with me. :( can anyone take a look at the photos i posted and recommend where on the plant and how to take a cutting? i am a total newbie and have never done it before...

it has two branches. the first picture shows the end of the main one and you can see where a new leaf is growing. the second picture shows the end of the second branch, which started growing after i bought the plant.

also, if i take a tip cutting of the end of one of the branches, will the branch that i cut off of continue to grow?

your help is much appreciated. thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

This document may be of interest. Look under the question "How do I take a cutting from a schefflera and get it to grow? Does it have to root first or can I just replant?". If there is sufficient time before the move, air-layering seems the better way. That way if roots have not developed by moving time, you could just cut it off and treat it like a cutting.

3. jeffur

jeffur Member

thanks, but i read that before i posted and the information contained in the link wasn't specific to schefflera and i found it confusing.

unfortunately, there isn't enough time before the move for air layering. i'm thinking i should do a tip cutting, but which branch should i use? the one that currently has a new leaf growing, or the other one?

also, will the branch that i cut the tip off of continue to grow?

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Jeffur,

Great sites from Junglekeeper! It would be better to take cuttings from tips that don't have new growth so the cutting can put it's energy into developing new roots.

I would suggest you take several cuttings for insurance. If you don't have time for them to develop new roots you can wrap them in moist paper towels and put them in zip lock bags and carry them with you as you travel.

Good luck in your new home!
    Newt

6. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

The branch you cut the tip off of will continue to grow. Cut just above a leaf node, and remove the leaf and a new shoot will grow from where the leaf was. I have huge ones and sometimes they become too big and I cut them. I hope this answers part of your question. Janet

7. leah00010

leah00010 Member

Hi, I have a Schefflera actinophlla(brassia) with the large really glossy leaves. My 2 1/2 yr old destroyed it, he broke off a tip of a branch and 8 leaves all the way to the branch. Will these root? How do I root them? How long does it take for the original plant to recover? Thank you leah

8. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Leah,

It would be helpful to you to read all the posts in this thread and follow the links to the propagation info.

Newt