ground cover

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by justjoan, Aug 5, 2003.

1. justjoan

justjoan Member

I have a ground cover that I don't have a name for. Perhaps
    you may know what it is. At one time it was a ubc
    experimental plant, dark green leaf, a little "thorny"
    along the stem (more soft than hard), a single leaf approx.
    1.5 to 2 inches along the vines. Spreading quickly.
    Any ideas?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

At a glance I would guess Arctostophyllus uva-ursi "Vancouver Jade" possibly, but... the thorny part doesn't fit. Can you take a quick snapshot and post it ?

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Rubus species (brambles) generally have prickly stems. Perhaps your plant is Rubus pentalobus 'Formosan Carpet'. This plant was a UBC Botanical Garden recommended release in 1985. Originally collected by Richard Pearson at high elevation in Taiwan and given to the Botanical Garden, this clone has lovely amber fruit and is reputed to be hardier than the typical form of the species. At the time of its introduction it was known as Rubus calycinoides 'Emerald Carpet'.

Attached Files:

4. justjoan

justjoan Member

YES! That the one. Is there any place in the garden that
    it's not suited for? I was given a rather large clump, and as
    I gently shredded it, I've put it everywhere that didn't already
    have something growing there. Any advice is always
    appreciated.

5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Rubus pentalobus 'Formosan Carpet' is fairly adaptable with respect to soil conditions and sun exposure. It performs best in well-drained, evenly moist soil with full sun, staying compact and producing good berry crops under such conditions.

In freezing weather, however, the leaves will turn plum purple if plants are in the open. Some people don't like this look. In bad winters (-10C for any extended period) leaves and branches will die back. Plants under cover, such as under the influence of buildings, trees or shrubs, will remain green.

6. growR

growR Member

I try to propagate rubus calcynoides cuttings under glasshouse conditions but always encounter the problem of leaves drying up starting from the margin and eventually killing the whole leaf and the whole plant. Pahtology labs can't find any pthogens involved. Can it be salt burn? Our water in this part of Washington has relatively high sodium content. Any input much appreciated.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Is there a salt deposit visible on the affected leaves?

8. Re: ground cover Rubus pentalobus 'Formosan Carpet'

Rubus pentalobus 'Formosan Carpet'
    I agree with all Mr. Justice stated except the "compact" habit. I found it to be very invasive.
    My Rubus formed a thick mat of very sturdy stems above ground and as well as a deep network of roots. It choked out other plants and even dislodged glued capstones of my retaining wall. Removing it was difficult and very time consuming.
    I recommend planting it where it can be contained, will not interfere with shrubs or perennials and where you forsee the location to be permanent.

This would be an ideal slope stabilization plant as it is attractive and strong. My concern is it could become a nuisance plant like ivy - only harder to remove - if it is not contained.

9. VanIsleGardener

VanIsleGardener Member

This sounds worth trying, but where can I get this plant?

10. forestlover

forestlover Member

I hope I'm not too late with this answer but we just bought this plant today at Devan Greenhouses in Abbotsford. It's under the Jeeperscreepers label. Cost $2.98 for 4" Pot. We bought a few of them. I never heard of the plant before but as soon as I read it was UBC recommended for the Pacific Northwest I picked it up. Sounds perfect for our woodland property. An evergreen groundcover that grows in the shade AND has edible berries - how can you go wrong.

11. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

Just be prepared to wear thick gloves - it is a tenacious, invasive little character with little, almost invisible, thorns that seem to always get inside the gloves. If the site is too sunny and dry, the many of the leaves turn brown and it can look quite wretched. In the right place it may be nice, but not in my garden I'm afraid.

Wynn

12. forestlover

forestlover Member

Thanks for the the tip Wynn.
    I'll be planting the Rubus p. where it won't get much sun.
    Luckily frost isn't too much of a problem at our place because of all the huge trees.
    And I'm hoping the Rubus p. will kill 'Stinky Bob' in some places.
    So many plants look wretched at my place in the winter that I guess the Rubus p. will fit right in.

13. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The patches here in the Asian Garden are quite nice, in my (uninformed) opinion.

14. earthink

earthink Member

I see that someone has mentioned that they found Rubus Pentalobus out at Devan Greenhouses back in March....has anyone seen this plant elsewhere? I've been looking for it. Thank you.