Plastic bags vs. wax

Discussion in 'Maples' started by banjoboy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

How many people use bags instead of wax? the plastic bag idea is new to me since i joined this forum. Do i have the basic procedure right? Just put a clear plastic bag over the rootsock and scion and tape it off at the bottom. After the scion leafs out, cut slits or open the bottom of the bag a little. Is this all there is to it? Am i leaving any crucial steps out? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Are you supposed to add a small amount of moisture to the bag at the beginning?

thanks

2. Galt

Galt Active Member

You might consider or try budding tape or a paraffin tape.....this method seems equally effective and much less cumbersome. Holds the scions in place while maintaining moisture/humidity around the developing union.

3. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

The first time i tried grafting i used that black tar stuff....horrible! never use that.

The second time i used paraffin wax and burnt three (out of 20) of my grafts.

The third time, I think i got it right, but it was kind of a pain to keep the wax at the right temp. I'm still kind of learning the whole grafting thing and i'm trying to find the way that works best for me.

Any info on the plastic bag method?

4. Galt

Galt Active Member

Sure if you want to mess with them then you have to evaluate how warm it will be and the humidity that builds up in them. Initailly you likely fasten both ends after securing the scion with a grafting rubber. You may have to preventatively spray a fungicide or if not, you will have to opent he bottom of the bag to allow for air circulation in about a week, maybe longer, but you will have to monitor.

The purpose of the bag is to increase humidity around the graft union, so you can get that result different ways. Greenhouse, small cold frame, tenting, budding tape, wax, sealer. Bags are most often used in summer grafting rather than winter.

There is a photo in the forum here and discussion realted to your qeustion. I think it was posted a while back.

5. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

oh, i just re-read your post. sorry, you said paraffin TAPE not paraffin WAX. Where do you buy this? online? Is it used for anything other than grafting?

6. Hayzee

Hayzee Member

7. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

Thanks for posting that link. It was extremely interesting and I feel like I NEED to graft something now!