Pine Tree Suggestion

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Carrot Top, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Member

I'm looking for a pine to plant near an in-ground hot tub, bright shade, morning sun, Pacific Northwest. A tree that can be easily pruned and trained and holds it's needles. If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated. I would say excessive needle drop would be the trait I'm trying to avoid most. What about P. strobus or wallichiana?

Thank You

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Both P. strobus & wallichiana are vigourous trees and not appropriate where space is a concern or pruning is required. Needle drop volume is related to rate of growth & foliage density. A fast growing tree will drop more needles than a slow growing tree....a dense tree more than a sparse tree, etc. Even pines that hold their needles for 3+ years still loose one year's worth a needles every year.

What size of tree did you want? How dense a tree are you looking for? If you like the look of the white pines, I would look at their cultivars for a smaller, slower growing tree that will look better with less maintenance.

Simon

3. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Member

Thank You Simon

I figured that needle drop was directly connected to the rate of growth of an pine. I do like the look of the white pines and the tree will be used for screening to a degree. The tree will be kept to a height of 15-20'. Any other suggestions?

Stephen

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Morning sun only will result in a gaunt specimen. Otherwise you could use P. strobus nana or one of the many cultivars of P. parviflora.

Pines generally require full sun and produce a carpet of needles. They also drip resin and shed cones (unless not producing them, of course). Shade-tolerant shrubby evergreens are probably what you need. Broadleaf evergreens like

Aucuba japonica
    Buxus sempervirens
    Camellia japonica
    Camellia williamsii
    Elaeagnus
    Fatsia japonica
    Ilex altaclerensis
    Ligustrum
    Mahonia aquifolium
    Osmanthus decorus
    Osmanthus heterophyllus
    Rhododendron

are more cheerful than coniferous evergreens but if you are set on conifers two that might do are

Cephalotaxus
    Taxus

These don't look like white pines but do grow in the shade.

5. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Member

Thank you Ron

I thought that pines made need more sun. Gaunt is not the look I'm after. The area has an Asian feel to it so I may switch gears and look at some bamboo varieties. Thank you for the other suggestions. I did consider Taxus.

6. Ron B

Speaking of bamboos, I left out

Phyllostachys
    Pleioblastus
    Sasa

by mistake.

7. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Member

3 varieties I'm thinking of are:

Yushania maculata
    Pseudosasa japonica 'Tsutsumiana'
    Phyllostachys aurea 'Flavecens Inversa'

8. Ron B

Don't know the first one, at least by that binomial. How hardy is it?

9. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Member

10. Ron B

Temperate Bamboos (Timber Press) says it might be hardy to -18C/0F and also says "As with Y. anceps this can spread at the roots and it can need control in most gardens. A relatively new introduction, this striking plant has proved to be wind resistant and could turn out to be more hardy than stated."

Since it's grassy and has bluish culms it might produce a similar general impression to what you hoped to get with a white pine.