Palm Import Regulations?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by 10°Palms, Aug 23, 2006.

1. jenf

jenf Member

So finally got it together to get some heat under these seeds. Low and behold while setting it up I discovered a sprout in the Jubaea x Butia bag. Planted in October, and has probably suffered some pretty low temps, rarely above room tempature. Anyway, feeling like proud new parents :), I think I'll give it a bit before I plant it in it's own pot. I've had the most success waiting until the seedlings show their first leaf. How is everyone else making out? Jen

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Jen ... last look I had still nothing. I've had some on continuous moderate heat and some on an cycle of 8 hrs heat and room temps. I'll have to have a look at what I have. Good luck with yours and I hope more sprout for you. (PS - everythings fine at Duke ... you?)

Cheers, Barrie.

3. jenf

jenf Member

Hey Barrie
    LR is ok, hurt myself, so I'm off work at the moment. Really hoping to get back to Duke, maybe the Alberni sometime in the near future.............anyway. I have the seeds sitting about 2" over a heating pad in a cupboard. The only way I can keep the cat from getting at them. It's a back heating pad on low, we put a thermometer in with them and are going to keep a close eye on the temps for a few days. This has been a tough winter, the climate here is a little more severe, and some of my gulf island raised babies are a little traumatized, but I've had some surprising successes as well. Hoping these seeds will be some of them. Have you ever tried banana seeds, I would think the same conditions would apply. We spent the winter building a greenhouse, so I'm hoping next winter I'll be able to treat my babies a little better. Can't wait. Say hi to anyone from Duke that might remember me.
    Jen

4. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

JenF,

Thats great news!. I have hit 20 - JXB and 5 - BXJ I had a 6th but lost it to root rot.
    I am quite excited to see these at the end of the season. I originally thought i may only get a handful to germinate, so now I am actually glad they take a while to grow because with 25 and still 50+ seeds still in germination I might run out of room :) my table is filling up with pots :). I hope they all survive, but only time will tell, but so far they seem to be doing quite well and just in time for spring.

-10°Palms

5. palmera

palmera Active Member

Interesting that only my true Jubaea and Butia have sprouted, not the hybrids. My But x Jubs have not shown any signs of life yet. My true Jubaea have their first leaf (3 out of 20 so far). In another germinator I have B. capitata 'Odorata' that have also begun to sprout (planted the same time). I am using a "mini greenhouse" from Can Tire with a heating pad on a 12 hr timer.

6. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

I have found a couple earlier pictures and snapped a new one of the but x jub and jub x but. There is quite the growth since my last pic.

butia x jubaea - 2 months since germination.jpg IMG_3607.jpg Butia X Jub 2 Feb 27 07.jpg
    Butia X Jubaea - Germinated November 15th 2006
    Pic 1 - 2 Months - January 17th 2007 - Unknown height
    Pic 2 - Almost 3 Months - February 9 2007 - 2 3/4" in height
    Pic 3 - 3 1/2 Months - February 27 2007 - 4 1/4" in height

jubaea x butia - 2 months since germination.jpg IMG_3609.jpg Jub x Butia 3 Feb 27 07.jpg
    Jubaea X Butia - Germinated November 16th 2006
    Pic 1 - 2 Months - January 17th 2007 - Unknown height
    Pic 2 - Almost 3 Months - Febraury 9 2007 - 1 1/4" in hieght
    Pic 3 - 3 1/2 Months - Febraury 27 2007 - 2 3/4" in Height

Both crosses have increased in height by 1 1/2" in the last 18 days!

IMG_3773.jpg

I need some help with this one. I inadvertantly got a pure jubaea mixed in with my jub x seedlings and I thought I knew which one it was, but this is the only seedling that is different than all of the rest. it is very red and I was just wondering from anyone who is growing Jubaea Chilensis if this is what the seedlings look like at this stage? I still have my eye on the one I think it is, but it doesn't explain this one.

-10°Palm

7. palmera

palmera Active Member

I don't know what you have there...this is what my true Jubaeas look like.

Attached Files:

8. jenf

jenf Member

Checked my seeds yesterday, thought maybe I should give the ones I planted in February a look as well and found 5 that had sprouted. These were the J x B again, after about 6 weeks. I'm using freezer size baggies with about 40 seeds in them, I have them raised about 2" above a back heating pad. The soil temp at about mid bag level is 80 F, but all the sprouts were at the bottom of the bag. So I suspect they like the warmth, they're in a cupboard so I don't think light is a factor. None of the BxJ have shown any signs of life yet, I figured they would be the easier ones. How is everyone else making out?
    Jen

9. palmera

palmera Active Member

Still no signs of life in my BxJ pot.

10. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

Okay, here's my newbie question about these Butia x Jubaea sproutings as in 10 Palms photos of his. Are there any other types of palms or cycads that look identical to these as posted at three months of age?

Last summer my peat-filled ziploc bag of miscellaneous seeds I collected in northern Florida germinated it's third seed which has developed exactly as in the photographs. It has now acquired a second leaf? and the first one has widened and lengthened. Could it be that I have this desirable plant which just might grow in my zone 9 garden (min -5 C.)? I have another of these which is out in an unheated greenhouse that has perhaps a half dozen leaves.

11. jenf

jenf Member

Islandweaver, have you met Banana Joe, your SSI resident expert? He might be able to identify your seedlings for you. I've had several different seedlings look like the photos, sometimes it might be easier to identify the seeds?

12. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

The vast majority of palm seedlings look like the ones pictured by 10°Palm.

As a side note, I had my first Jubaea x Butia seed sprout the other day.
    Butia x Jubaea should be slower since the domanant genus is notorious for longer germination periods.

Cheers, LPN.

13. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

That would certainly fit this seedling, it just layed around in the peat bag for 3 years before anything happened. I think I will put the bag on a heating mat and see if even more would sprout.

14. gi-wireless

gi-wireless Member

Could anyone of you in Canada point me in the right direction for seeds for both of these Palms. The only place I have found is Jmusic and they won't ship to Canada.

15. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

16. gi-wireless

gi-wireless Member

Thankyou Carol, unfortunately no luck. I would like to get in touch with 10 deg Palms to find where I might be able to get some seeds but I guess because I'm so new I can't PM them.

17. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I bumped up your user level, so you can use the PM system now.

18. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

Just an update.

Germination has dropped off, not getting any new germinators, I found 1 JXB germinated last month but nothing else. not sure if its because of the ambient temperatures being higher so the temperature doesn't drop as far.

All of my seedlings are doing GREAT!... All have started or already have put out their second leaves. I have now moved these outside. I am quite concerned because we have quite a few squirrels running around and have already lost a sabel to them this year. I do feel sorry for whatever squirrel even attempts to mess with my bxj and jxb.

The mystery palm is still growing, although defniately slower than the others. still hasn't opened the first leaf, but definatley growing.

anyways thats where I am at 7 months since 1st germination.

-10°Palms

19. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

I was going to look into more seeds, anyone else interested?

20. jemeric

jemeric Member

What type of seeds are you looking into? I've got a few butia x jubaea and jubaea x butia on the go. It'd be interesting to get a hold of some other hybrids, particularily jubaea x parajubaea (if it's even possible) or butia x parajubaea or jubaea x butia x syagrus.

21. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

Its been a while since i've been on, but thought I would post an update. Only 2 Butia X Jubaea survived. 4 Years old now. I protect them like crazy... I have attached current photos. Leaves are starting to divide now.

2011-10-16_14-45-05_335.jpg 2011-10-16_14-45-22_949.jpg

22. Mississauga Canada Palms

Mississauga Canada Palms New Member

Is there much difference between jubea x butia vs butia x jubea?
    Just curious. Perhaps growth rate? appearance? cold hardiness?
    Thanks!