acer

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Butch388, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Butch388

Butch388 Member

Hi, does anyone know if there is any difference between psudedoplatanus Eskimo Sunset and psudedoplatanus Patchwork? Are the colors the same? THanks

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

From what pictures I have seen Patchwork is more towards yellow-pink, Esk is more towards cream-pink. Apparently these trees are quite similar, though. It was pointed out to me by a member of this forum that many variegated pseudoplatanus are similar. Here's one I planted this year called Brigada Revolution. It seems quite similar, and has the pink undersides of Esk.

-E

Attached Files:

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

He's calling it 'Esk' (short for 'Esk Sunset') because it's said to be named after the Esk Valley in New Zealand, 'Eskimo Sunset' being a mistake.

4. Jerry_Br

Jerry_Br Member

Emery,

Very nice looking tree can you us anything more about it? Where did you get it? It tried Googling the name and nothing showed up.

Regards
    Jerry

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Jerry, Brigada Revolution was grown by M. Hennebelle of the nursery "La Ferme Fleurie" in northern France. With the unfortunate death of this distinguished plantsman the nursery passed into the hands of his sons, and is now managed by Jean-Loup Hennebelle under the name "Pepinieres Hennebelle."

The senior Hennebelle named many cultivars, including several pretty pseudoplatanus. I am attaching another of his that I planted this year, it's called "Miracle Rose" with obvious affinity to brilliantissimum. The younger continues the tradition of new introductions, his Berberis thunbergii 'diabolicum' just won a prize at Courson (a big plant show here).

Much of the information of these cultivars disappeared with their creator, so we don't know what eventual size Brigada Revolution will make. I suspect a smallish tree along the lines of "Simon Louis Freres" as it is not described as fast growing. In fact few have seemingly tried to grow it out into a tree, the popular use seems to be to cut back hard, which promotes the variegation, and grow it in a mixed border. I intend to try and grow it out, but if it shows a tendency to revert I will most likely pollard it.

-E

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Anything named after 1959 should not have a Latin cultivar name like "diabolicum". That should be replaced with an 'acceptable' name.

If these maple selections have not been in existence and observed for decades the mature sizes will not be known yet.

'Brilliantissimum' has been very slow here, cutting it back is furthest from my mind.

7. Jerry_Br

Jerry_Br Member

Emery,

Thanks for the information. Another nice picture that you posted.

Hopefully these will make it to the USA sometime soon.

Regards
    Jerry