Is Japanese Red Maple suitable to be grown as bonsai in southern part of the U.S

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AL1122, Feb 15, 2007.

1. AL1122

AL1122 Member

I live in Louisiana, southeastern United States. Can the Japanese Red Maple tree be grown here as a bonsai tree? Can it be grown indoors or out? Any information regarding the Red Maple bonsai would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Maples are simple not indoor plants. Ever. Do people there grow the trees as normal landscape trees? If so then you can certainly grow them as bonsai. The real issue is whether or not winters get cold enough for the leaves to fall and for the tree to enter "winter dormancy". If the whether isn't suited to them then they grow weakly and are subject to all sorts of pests and illnesses. I talk to people who grow them in Texas, but I think their winters are a lot colder there then you might face.

Do you see maples of any kind as landscape plants?

Do you have any other bonsai? Are you familiar with them?

Michael

3. AL1122

AL1122 Member

Yes, there are many Maple trees growing in landscapes here, but I do not know if I see the Japanese Red Maple often. Would that make a difference? I have had a few bonsai trees and they did quite well. They were junipers. I kept them outdoors and indoors, did not seem to matter either way with the junipers.

4. TexCedar

TexCedar Member

I know of an arboretum in east texas that has plenty of japanese maples. And the east texas climate is very similar to yours. Most need some protection from sun though. 'Full Sun' 6 to 8 hours a day might be ok, as long as there was some shade during the hottest part of the day. Morning sun is best.

The maple will probably not be as tolerant as the juniper with respect to moving it inside and out. Find a protected spot where it gets a little sun and plant it in the yard or in a large container. Don't cram it in a bonsai pot until you have a big trunk.

5. violetbaby123

violetbaby123 Member

What an interesting idea. I live near Lafayette, La, and there are many used as "focal interest" plants in landscapes. How would you get a ***. Red Maple small enough to bonsai? It would be beautiful if you could get a cutting. I really think it would be worth a try. Good luck.

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

If you want to see one indoors, but have to grow it outdoors, you can mount a display shelf outdoors under a window, or put the tree in a center courtyard if you have one.

Its a fun hobby, I used to tinker with it about 20 years ago.