Fiddle Sticks !!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MoOnChiLd, Feb 15, 2007.

1. MoOnChiLd

MoOnChiLd Member

A few days ago I rescued a 'Fiddle Leaf' fig from going into the dumpster. I have already read on what it's needs are. I am just wondering if I should prune it or not.

It is approx 15' tall . I put it to one side of my l.r. window and had to wind it over my curtain rod one time to hold it there. It's holding for now. I hope it doesn't rip the curtain rod out of the wall. There are about ten sad looking leaves on it but it is alive. ( I broke two things bringing it in....actually after I got it in the house. I never ask for help you know and I hope no one was watching because it must have looked pretty crazy getting caught on everything and me stopping....putting it down....and unhooking it from whatever......) It was so heavy that before attempting to carry it home, I took it out of the pot and left most of the sandy soil in her front garden.So now it's in a bucket awaiting a new pot and new soil.

It was terribly potbound. My neighbour told me that she has only had it for a few years but I don't know how tall it was when she got it. I will ask her later. I mentioned that because I read that they are slow growers. Doesn't look like it to me !! I also read that if they don't have enough light they get like this.

It has five main stalks. Two are only about 6-8 feet long. One has been broken off to that length. The other one doesn't look as though it has been broken. But that doesn't matter.

If I prune it to just below ceiling height will I shock it so much that it may die? When should I prune it? Now or wait a few months?

I sort of like the way it looks...viney..... but I would love it to grow some leaves. What do you think everyone.??????????

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Rather than pruning it right now, I'd try some air-layering, instead. If you could get a few of those main branches to produce roots, you may be able to get a few plants out of the deal. The plant has had enough change in its life recently without pruning.

In my limited experience with the various ficus species, they tend to grow long, tall, and loose their bottom foliage if they are not getting enough light and regular pruning.

3. MoOnChiLd

MoOnChiLd Member

Thank you for your reply.

4. MoOnChiLd

MoOnChiLd Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2007