Winter shopping

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Gomero, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi everybody,

We are all impatiently awaiting Spring to enjoy our trees and most specially those that have been added this fall/winter and that we do not know yet how they will fare in our garden. To ease the wait, and like kids that we are on this, let us post our worthy additions that will, in the near future, be new entries in the Maple Gallery.
    My winter shopping list of A. palmatum cultivars:

Beni zuru
    Brandt’s Dwarf
    Berry Broom
    Chisio hime
    Garyuh
    Goshiki shidare
    Enkan
    Herbstfeuer
    Hinotori nishiki
    Hoshi kuzu
    Inazuma
    Jerre Schwartz
    Koba shohjoh
    Kuro hime
    Lutescens
    Margaret Bee
    Mikawa yatsubusa
    Pixie
    Seiun kaku
    Shidava gold
    Shigure Bato
    Shohjoh shidare
    Taimin Nishiki
    Yushide

Other Acer species in the list:

Ax conspicuum ‘Silver Cardinal’
    A. campestre ‘Postelense’
    A. davidii ‘Serpentine’
    A. Micrantum
    A. Caudatifolium
    Acer pectinatum ‘Mozart’
    Acer pectinatum ‘Sirene’

I am really excited about the A. pectinatum cultivars, their bark are superb and I am looking forward to discovering the leaves.

Finally I would like to mention A. shirasawanum ‘Jordan’, an introduction by Fratelli Girardelli which is probably a hybrid between palmatum and shirasawanum. To lighten up the post I include a pic of this cultivar originating from them, and waiting for the spring to be able to post one from my own ‘Jordan’; LOL.

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Will look up those on your list I do not have to see if I want to add them to my collec-
    tion. I have quite a few on your list and I respect your taste. I particularly love Silver
    Cardinal and believe you will as well. I spent the "off season" germinating many seeds
    and making my lists and placing many orders. Some on my list are:
    Tsuri nishiki
    Saoshika
    Yashio
    Kasen nishiki
    Waka momiji variegated
    Glowing Embers
    Peve Multicolor
    maybe: Yubae, Aocha nishiki, Itami nibluki, In the Pink, Dave Verkade
    more of my definites are:
    Pink filigree
    Suisei
    Barbara
    Koto ito komachi
    Marakumo
    Ariadne
    Mon papa
    Alpenweiss
    Fairyhair
    Coral pink
    Okukuji nishiki
    Felice
    Akane
    x conspicuums Elephants Ear and Silver Vein
    rubescens Summer Surprise and Summer Snow
    I love the photography and knowledge in Book for Maples. Would love to buy many of
    those maples which I never see in other maple books/catalogs/web sites.
    Does anyone know where a good number of the maples featured in Book for Maples can
    be bought within the United States or for import?
    Thank you.

3. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

It's always interesting to see what "catches the eye" of others. My list of maples ordered so far is:
    Acer 'Johin'
    A. pic. 'Hoshi Yadori'
    A. palm. 'Jerre Schwartz', 'Moonfire', 'Peaches and Cream', 'Kiyo hime', 'Sharp's Pygmy'

I have also been curious about ordering imported maples. Esterveld would be the grower I'm curious about. Is if feasible to order from Europe? Has anyone had any experiences doing this? Also, wondering where you shop, online pictures? I recently purchased the Eastwoods Nurseries cd of maples and I have created a wish list from the pictures there, as well as books, etc. I like the cd a lot, wasn't sure if I would. It makes me wonder if there aren't more cd's out there that I don't know about.

4. benishien

benishien Active Member Maple Society

Hello all. I have been trying to get a koto ito komachi for a long time. Can anyone here help me? Even just some scion would make me very happy. By the way nice lists. A lot of those trees are on mine to. I was lucky last year and got a lot of what I really have been wanting. Even a nice 6 or 7 year old Shigitatsu Sawa which is probably my favorite maple. I noticed glowing embers on your list katsura. Which one? I found out last year there are two very different Palmatum under this name. I have the newer one which is a green leaf. I thought it was going to be the beautiful red leaf one from the vertrees book, but it is just a super strong green leaf that grows fast (30 ft in ten years), and can take full sun in hundred degree weather. Also it is propagated manly by cuttings and apparently roots very well very quickly. It is unfortunate about the name. It should be changed to Acer Palmatum improved. One tree some trees I have bought but not seen yet are:
    Beni Maiko
    Green Cascade
    Aureum (Palmatum)
    Karasu Gawa
    Korean Gem
    Red Dragon
    Shishiohime
    Ibo Nishiki

Though I have seen most of these tree's before it is quite different when it is your tree and you have not seen them leafed out. Also I am growing a Borns Gracious that only had 2 leaves on it when I got it and they were not Linearilobum yet. I have not been able to find much on this silver maple, do any of you know where I can? Gomero I am especially counting on you I have seen you come through for a lot of people on this forum. 'Borns Gracious' Saccharinum Linearilobum

Joshua Treleven
    Island Grown

5. Hayzee

Hayzee Member

My completed purchases so far this year have been

Ariadne
    Chitoseyama
    Taylor
    Beni Schihenge
    Higasa Yama X 2
    Koto No Ito
    Red Pygmy
    Villa Taranto
    Katsura

The last 4 and 1 of the Higasa Yamas came from Esveld and I am very impressed with their service/packaging/quality of plants etc. I did order koto ito komachi as well but they did not have any in stock.

Having bought these.... there's not a lot of room for much else at the moment... but I may squeeze a few more in before the year is out. :)

HZ

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi my list is tribute for fantastic finder plant man ,and for my passion for variegated leaves
    acer davidii George Forrest
    " " Ernest Wilons
    " " Hansu Suru
    " Sieboldianum
    " Diabolicum
    " Tokiwa nishiki
    " platanoides Walderseei
    "Pilosum Stenolobum
    " saccarum Leucoderme
    " tegmentosum White Tigress
    --------------------
    Sorbus Joshep Rock
    Abelia Conti
    Albizia summer chocolate

alex66

7. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Sorry I can't help, I do not know much about Saccharinum cultivars. There are other forum members who know more

Gomero

8. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hayzee .... what size plants did you get from Esvelds?

9. Hayzee

Hayzee Member

Sorry for my slow response, it has been a busy week. They came in 2l pots, quite well branched and 12-18" high. Some of them were €10 each which is about £6.75 each. (1.48/GBP). There's a garden centre not far from me which charges around £20 for a not much larger specimen and they certainly don't carry the same variety as Esvelds.... (I'm beginning to sound like an advert for them !!!!)

I got 5 varieties for €84 incl. postage working out at roughly £11 each which I didn't think was too bad.

I will be using them again in the very near future... is there such a thing as maple addiction ?

Regards

Hayzee

10. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

There most certainly is
    I think I will try a few from Esvelds this season. You have been a good advert for them. They owe you a free tree LOL

11. Daniel Otis

Daniel Otis Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Beni--

Here's some info on 'Born's Gracious' from Maples of the World:

"A graceful tree of slightly weeping habit. The leaves are deeply cut but shaped differently than those of 'Wieri Laciniatum.' It was discovered in 1948 in the nurseries of Georg Born in Rosenheim, Germany, as a chance seedling, and it proved to be very hardy in the extremely cold winter of 1956. Rudolf Schmidt in Rellingen, Germany, started to propagate it. G. Krussmann published the name 'Born's Graciosa' in 1959, but this name was rejected by the registrar (Arnold Arboretum). As this illegitimate name is widely used in the German and Dutch nursery trades, we [the van Gelderens] propose to change the name to 'Born's Gracious.' This change will not cause any confusion."

More than you wanted to know about the name, and not much about the tree.

I read somewhere that this is the most finely dissected of all the silver maples, so I got one and I've grown it for three years now. The first couple of years I didn't see many fine leaves, but this past year it was amazing--very fine lobes, less than 1/4" wide, a bit twisted. When it's older, I guess that it will make a beautiful hazy impression in the landscape. Seems vigorous, too, and I'd be surprised if it isn't bone hardy. I may be mistaken about this, but I seem to remember that the second flush of leaves toward the end of summer is much finer than the first flush.

While I'm on about silver maples--for quite a few years I've been collecting seed from another dissected silver maple, 'Skinneri.' Since it's a silver maple the seeds mature in May, germinate quickly, and are a foot tall by fall. I get a lot of interesting variation in the seedlings, including some feeble, peculiar looking seedlings with fasciated-looking leaves, and quite a few dissected types.

A final silver maple note. A few years ago I saw a silver with one small branch of variegated leaves. I cut part of it off and managed to graft it. (Left half the variegated branch on the tree, in case all my grafts failed; the branch was later knocked off by a dump truck.) I've attached a picture.

At its best, this tree looks fantastic, but it's one of those "collectors trees" that are such a pain that only a fanatic would bother with them. All of the yellow parts dry up and blow away within a week or two, even under the densest shade. It throws reversions all the time, which have to be trimmed off--but not all of them, because it's these normal branches that supply the tree's nutrition. With all of this pruning, the tree has a pretty weird shape. It has variegated flowers, too.

Here's something really odd--the summer I grafted it, I got from my 'Skinneri' seed a yellow-variegated seedling. Such a rare thing, and it happened twice over a period of a few weeks. I kept going out to look at the graft, and then I'd look over at the seedling, and for some reason it was difficult to grasp that they had nothing to do with each other.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

12. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ohhhh!!!Daniel very beautiful this maple variegated ,congratulations alex66

13. benishien

benishien Active Member Maple Society

Thank you for the info Danial. Do you have a nursery? I have been working on mine and should be open for business this year. I would love to carry some of your silver maples. I love the Palmatum but I am trying to have a base of the "other" maples. Japonicum, Shirasawanum, Saccharinum, Circinatum, Pictum, Macrophyllum, Griseum, Paxii, Fabri, ect. There are so many interesting cultivars out there that you just do not see in landscapes. I should stop the forum is not supposed to be used for business if you are interested my email is sophiajdv@yahoo.com. I am a collector first so I get to excited sometimes.

14. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

I have some exciting trees coming this spring.

1. Beni Gasa
    2. Jerry's #2
    3. Elwood broom
    4. Deshojo
    5. Mihizu beni
    6. Mama
    7. Carlis corner broom
    8. vics broom
    9. oto hime

If anyone has some pics or info could you please share.

Krautz