Bottle Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I have a bottle palm in a very large pot that I have had for almost 15 years now. It has started sprouting small plants on the bottle part of the palm. I wanted to know if they can be removed and planted and if so how should we remove them.

I don't want to hurt my large palm. If they should be removed just to help the large plant grow better.

I would like any help anyone can give me as I have tried to find a site that would give me some information and I am having no luck. I live in Moreno Valley Ca. if that makes a difference as to where the palm has been growing.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

On internet look up : Sago Plams growing pups. There is a very good description of the process of growing offsets. Good photographs will give you some idea of what you are aiming for.

Remove the offsets in Winter or early Spring.

Reduce leaves and roots and wash completely- let dry 1 wk.

Store in a cool dry spot for several months.

Best planting time: Spring /Summer.

Plant the offset with the crown half way above the soil line (planting height is crucial to success), in a mixture of half perlite and half peat. Keep the container size small and in proportion to the size of the offset. This will ensure that these new plants will not get too moist.

In a month leaves should start to appear.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

3. pdlackey

pdlackey Member

Caring for a potted Bottle Palm

I would very much like some advice for how to care for my Bottle Palm which I plan to keep potted. I fear I might over water, (currently twice weekly) and I am curious if I will need to move the palm indoors during winter. I live in coastal San Diego County USDA zone 10b where it can get cold at night in the winters...but VERY rarely below freezing. Any advice...do's and dont's would be GREATLY appreciated!

4. Bottle Palm in San Diego...

Trust me, you live in zone 10b San Diego, the Bottle Palm should thrive in that warm of a climate...lol...Plant it in the ground in full sun.

5. GARYIRYNA

GARYIRYNA Member

MONTE PEGO, COSTA BLANCA, SPAIN Zone 10A or B
    can a bottle take a 10a