Identification: Asymmetric desert plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by soyned, Feb 3, 2007.

1. soyned

soyned Member

Can anyone help me identify this plant someone gave me? The tips of the leaves are bilaterally asymmetric. The base the plant grows in a couple flat, fan-shaped clusters, as you can see in the picture. About 5 cm from the base of the fans there is a horizontal line across the leaves. The leaves are very stiff and waxy. Please click on the thumbnails to get a larger view.

DSCN0479.JPG

DSCN0483.JPG

2. Eric in SF

Eric in SF Member

My first thought is that it is a Cymbidium species, an orchid. That line between the green and yellow portions is called the Abscission line.

Where did you get this plant? If it is a Cymbidium, enjoy it for the foliage. It needs hot temperatures and full sun to bloom.

3. soyned

soyned Member

Someone put it, along with several other unusual plants, out for free in the science building of my college. I have a feeling it was a biology/botany professor, since I dont' see why anyone else would have so many unusual plants.

I looked at some pictures of Cymbidium online, and it seems like the leaves of that plant are pointy on the end, whereas my plant has a distinctly rounded, asymmetric m shape.

4. Eric in SF

Eric in SF Member

I think this is an Australian Cymbidium. They are fairly different from the standard and miniature Cym hybrids.

Australian Cyms, such as C. canaliculatum, have thick, stiff, and leathery leaves. I'm having trouble finding an image of the leaf itself online, so I will have to check some live plant materials and get back to you.