Identification: New Myrtus communis??

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Eugene_ZA, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Eugene_ZA

Eugene_ZA Member

I have grown this sport from Myrtus communis cuttings could anybody identify this plant please or is this a new plant?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  2. Ali

Ali Active Member

I'd agree with your id! We get it in the flower shop that I work in all the time! I have some that I am trying to root right now! You have given me hope!

Myrtus communis (myrtle)

3. de bon chemin

de bon chemin Member

Hi! just look through and here a nice ondulea myrtus communis,

This plant as a tendency to "change" from saison to saison; a adaptation type not a true mutation.
    You smoke it, it whorled.
    you cut it short in spring, it shoots
    you keep it dry, it gets a strong fragrance and dark leaves
    you pinch, it quatruples ( not 2 but 4 branchs)...
    I heard from a Italian gardener that in wedding in Sicilia, Calabria, Corsica, Sardenia they used a 4 leaflets whorled myrtus, to crown the bride, now only a 3 leaves myrtus.
    He said that he saw a myrtus Romana with 5 leaves whorl.

In Greece the Pity in Delphes were using for divination Myrtus with 7 leaves whorl, call the Matsraha ( could be from Matsar: Egypt in antiquity. in Arabic and Hebrew: Mitsar, Mistraym) Myrtos.
    If any one has Pictures of a 4-5 or 7 leaves whorl myrtus communis..let me know and please put a pic on this forum
    have a good day

4. dasman459

dasman459 Member

Question; Were you successful in growing this three leafed?

5. dasman459

dasman459 Member

"......to crown the bride, now only a 3 leaves myrtus"
    I have seeds but how can i acheave the 3 leaves myrtus?

6. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Responses are fascinating but do not really address Eugene's question -- though he did not make clear what he believes is distinctive about his plant. I assume it is the undulating leaves of this branch sport.

There a many names applying to variations of Myrtus communis, some apparently selected from wild populations, others from chance seedlings or branch sports. But the names, with or without adequate descriptions or illustrations, are so widely scattered through European literature, that it would take a lot of research time to check them all. The most likely name for such a variation would be undulatus.

I admit that is not very helpful. My guess is that if this particular kind of sport has happened on your plant, then it has happened repeatedly on other myrtle plants over the years. Whether it has any commercial value is for the market to decide. It looks as though it could be quite attractive.

7. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Apologies to de bon chemin, I failed to notice his/her mention of "a nice ondulea myrtus communis", implying familiarity with this form.

"Ondulea" obviously means an undulate form, though my knowledge of Romance languages does not extend to knowing whether this particular version of the word is French, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan or whatever, or what is its grammatical infexion.

Also I wrongly said that a likely epithet to look for would be undulatus. That should be undulata.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  8. de bon chemin

de bon chemin Member

errare humanum est, numc perseverare diabolicum.
    sed etiam, in vino-veritas
    ondus-ondis : water flow.wave.