Is this German Statice?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by kia796, Jan 27, 2007.

1. kia796

kia796 Active Member

I'm amazed at how hardy this is. We've had -21C in Nov., yet flowers are still on it (and they're not crispy). Up against the building it hasn't had the benefit of snow cover but has been protected from northwest winds.

I think the tag said Statice when I bought it last year. Stems are triangular--not round--in shape. Can I assume it's a perennial? Pic isn't great despite Fill Flash.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, it's statice. Don't remember about the German part, what that refers to.

3. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Thanks! I recall seeing German Statice on a label, but which label, for which plant, not sure.

4. donnao

donnao Member

It's annual statice - "Limonium sinuatum". German statice is a perennial "Limonium tatarica". I've grown both. They're great for dried flower arrangements.

5. kia796

kia796 Active Member

thanks donnao, the flowers are unbelievably long-lasting and charming (despite the look of the plant this time of year).
    I'm now interested in purchasing more of these hardy perennials. I'll try those you listed.

6. donnao

donnao Member

Sorry if I have confused you kia796. The Statice flowers you have are annuals & won't be back again this spring. The plants are dead but the flowers retain their colours as they are termed everlasting. You can purchase the seeds at Veseys -http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/annuals/statice/formulamixture - or probably any other seed catalogue. The seeds are easy to grow.

The perennial statice I spoke of doesn't look the same as your statice. It's white & doesn't grow as high. It's still a very valuable flower for arrangements.

7. kia796

kia796 Active Member

My mistake Donnao, you DID say Annual. I will grow these again, their tenacity is worth it (very nice, despite my poor photo).
    I neglected to say earlier that I believe I have the perennial statice. Its flowers are tiny and white, growing in masses with the tiniest edging of pink. Flowers are held stiffly aloft on 8 inch stems, the view from a distance is that of a perfectly shaped bouquet. Everlasting is certainly correct.
    Yet mine doesn't appear have the distinctively-Statice-like triangular stems. It's now under 2 feet of snow, so I'll look in the spring.