Will my Jasmine survive?

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by daraddishman, Jan 27, 2007.

1. daraddishman

daraddishman Member

Hi everyone, I found this forum while trawling google for an answer to my problem, and it looks just fantastic! Some background info: I just started gardening out here in BC, prior to 2006 I lived in Alberta. I live in a third floor apartment in New Westminster, and have a small deck that I have put some planter-boxes and trellis on. I have been trying to get some climbing vines to grow, so far things have gone okay. The ivy is doing well, but the dutchmans' pipe died out.

This winter was particularly windy and cold, so I am told, and I am worried about my jasmine. The cold seems to have made many of the vines brittle, and all the leaves have dried out pretty badly. Worse, the bark has split right at the base of the plant, and has pretty much fully peeled away.

Now, normally that is a bad sign, but I've never grown jasmine before, so, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my poor battered plant will live. I've uploaded some pictures as well to help give you an idea of what is happening with my plant.

Cheers,

Marcus, New Westminster

Attached Files:

2. daraddishman

daraddishman Member

Oops, forgot to add the species info.

The jasmine is a 'Pink Jasmine' Jasminum polyanthum that says it has a Zone 8 hardiness ( -12C to -7C ).

On other thing of note, the containers are fairly small, about 8 inches deep, 10 inches high, and about 30 inches long.

Also in the container is an clump of Porcupine Grass which is doing fantastic.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Marcus,

I get your hardiness zone as 7b, so your jasmine might not survive. For reference there is another thread here in relation to this question with diagrams of the boxes that might be helpful to anyone reading this. Here's the thread.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=73631#post73631

You can try tracing the bark on the jasmine to see if that will help healing. As it is now, insects, fungus and bacteria can enter where the bark is loose. Here's how to trace.
    http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/barksplitting/barksplit.htm

Porcupine grass is more tolerant of wet soils, so that could be why it's thriving.

Newt

4. daraddishman

daraddishman Member

I looked closer today and the back side is also split, so the bark has peeled off on both sides and is hanging in strips... doesn't look good.

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sounds like it's a goner, but you could always wait until spring to see what it does.

Newt