Can someone please help me id this maple?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Alectoria, Jan 20, 2007.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

IIRC "Full Moon Maple" is the common name for A. japonicum, shirasawanum 'Aureum' is "Golden Full Moon Maple." This confusion probably comes about because Aureum was listed under japonicum until fairly recently; I sometimes still run across it in a nursery labeled as such.

My Aureum is a sad victim of the wilt this spring (confirmed finally by cutting, it hadn't shown the classic symptoms) and has been removed to a pot to recover or not, as the case may be. But mine never much resembled the mystery plant either. I am more inclined to guess (if pushed) a palmatum of some kind in spite of the 9 lobes and deep sinuses.

Sam, indeed the colour of Autumn Moon and Orange Dream are very similar here. The former keeps it's colour longer, but then it gets more light, too.

-E

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi whis4ey, mine a.s.Aureum it does not have these fall colours (but is young) in my book of maple not found "full moon maple" synosym a.s. Aureum ....but is possible
    alex66

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

whis4ey, Yes, making some of them particularly hard to identify. One often sees them misidentified even in the local nurseries, it seems to happen to everybody sooner or later. There is are 2 pics of the 'Autumn Moon' pictured in Vertree's book at the following link. If you scroll down to the bottom pic there is a third enlarged pic of the plant offered. They look quite different to me, particularly the more deeply incised leaves in the bottom pic. not sure what to think, do you think they are the same cultivar? www.cgi.ebay.com/Acer-Shirasawanum-autumn-moon-japanese-maple_WOQQitemZ110083725968

4. chimera

Sorry the link doesn't work. Can go to www.ebay.com and in the search box at top right put in 110083725968.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  5. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

They certainly look different to me Chimera. The more deeply divided leaves are, however, a little like the subject plant in this thread
    Also .. one of the photographs in Vertrees is similar in colour

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I found this photo is aureum

Attached Files:

7. Alectoria

Alectoria Member

Hi Alex, Whiskey and Chimera, thanks so much for the enthusiasm, the most recent photo is definetely not the one I have. The leaves are more dissected than this lovely looking Acer posted by Alex. I can see mine poking out of the snow from my office window right now. There are seeds on it, and I am going to take cuttings and see if I can start from a cutting. I have rather a lot of A. circinatum about and I have a A. dissectum not too far away either, will these cross with what I have? I get maple seedlings in my garden continuously, and have just been tossing them out. If I can get something started, I can send a started plant to any one of you!

8. chimera

It also may be worthwhile air layering your plant if you don't mind having a pot in the tree for a while and can keep the growing medium moist. It can be quite successful it seems. Ground layering, grafting, and as you say cuttings would also ensure you get the same tree. Don't think it will cross with A. circinatum , may graft though i suppose, and could cross with the A. dissectum if it's a A.palmatum. Guessing your seedlings are A.circinatum. Understand some maples start easily from cuttings. You could start moisturizing the seeds in peat in a plastic bag in the fridge soon to have seedlings this year, if they have not germinated below the tree in previous years. All interesting.

9. chumasero

chumasero Active Member

10. gin-ger

gin-ger Active Member

Good morning, all,
    Here are some of my pix from last year. The first 2 are Acer shirawasawanum 'Autumn Moon' spring & summer, the third one is Acer shirawasawanum 'Full Moon' and the fourth is Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream' which grows larger than described. Neither shirawasawanum looks like the plant in question to me but I don't have the answer either.
    Ginger

Attached Files: